Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Another tire thread - date code

Started by rdsarefun, December 24, 2023, 02:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdsarefun

I was looking at my motorcycle tires (IRC's) that were part of the motorcycle deal as these were "new" when I bought my RD in March of 23.  Closer inspection of the front and rear tire dates codes indicate 0617 and 5116, so these are basically 6 years old.  I know they were a real bitch to install with my spoons, may explain why the sidewalls were as stiff as hell.  Regardless, I have been looking at 90/90/18 BT46 and 110/19/18 BT46 tires for my 75 RD.  Looks like I can get a pair shipped for under $250.00 which seems like a decent price.  Few quick questions,  How old of a date code is acceptable for a new tire?  I read that 6 years max is recommended for replacement, but was wondering how long a supplier can sit on tires and what the consensus is with regards to the 2 stroke forum as to what is acceptable (i.e. how old of a tire would you mount if bought new and if you would return?  I only ride less than 300 miles a year so the newer the better in my opinion. 

m in sc

depends how hard they are and how much light they have seen.

ive run them older... they did 'ok' but i wasnt confident in them.

1976RD400C

I used to do work for a Goodyear Tire distribution center and they wouldn't send out any tires that were over 3 years old to the Goodyear Tire stores. They would destroy them. That said I took my SV650 to a track day a couple summers ago with Michelin Pilot 2CT tires that were 8 years old and was a bit nervous. Took it easy for a while and then rode them so the rear was going all the over to the edge and didn't notice any problems at all. Granted, I was being real smooth and not powering out of the turns like a maniac. There's no way I want to fall off a bike in my 60's.  :burnout:
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350