Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

vape charging

Started by motulman, February 02, 2021, 09:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motulman

my vape puts out only 12.5 volts at 8 grand, does that sound right?

Barrie

No! I'll do a bit of research
Back, The output from the alternator comes out via the 2 black wires to the  rectifier/regulator, check your connections.
With a multi meter check you have continuity on the alternator windings.
If these steps prove  the connections are all good ,it points towards the regulator / rectifier being faulty.
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

rodneya

Should be 14 to 14.5 volts I would say.

This is how I wired mine

m in sc

what else is ON when you are checking?

RustyRD

I have the vape also, and at idle it will charge at 13.8V. Double check your grounds, faulty grounding will cause multiple issues.

motulman

daytona so all the lights are on when you turn the key on  the ac leads push 30w @3000 rpm and 45w at 4500 rpm and so on, the same on each leg, doesnt sound like much for a 150w elec system. john at economy cycle are having to deal with vape warrantee and its a real problem with their engineer

soonerbillz

Quote from: motulman on February 16, 2021, 02:42:42 AM
daytona so all the lights are on when you turn the key on  the ac leads push 30w @3000 rpm and 45w at 4500 rpm and so on, the same on each leg, doesnt sound like much for a 150w elec system. john at economy cycle are having to deal with vape warrantee and its a real problem with their engineer

I am looking at upgrading my charging/ignition .. looking at the Vape system.
Comments like this make me wary of it... especially considering the price. Is this a common issue?

Striker1423

Quote from: soonerbillz on February 22, 2021, 08:11:35 AM
Quote from: motulman on February 16, 2021, 02:42:42 AM

I am looking at upgrading my charging/ignition .. looking at the Vape system.
Comments like this make me wary of it... especially considering the price. Is this a common issue?

No. Common for a failed part, but uncommon for this system.

m in sc

i've had one since 2007. great system.

i had one of the 1st gen regulators die about 4 yrs ago. the 2nd gen ones (non finned) are way better (integrated capacitor) and what i currently have. 

Im not saying thats what happened here at all, but almost 99% of the issues ive ever seen are installation error. particularly regarding shitty grounds.

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on February 22, 2021, 10:21:29 AM
i've had one since 2007. great system.

i had one of the 1st gen regulators die about 4 yrs ago. the 2nd gen ones (non finned) are way better (integrated capacitor) and what i currently have. 

Im not saying thats what happened here at all, but almost 99% of the issues ive ever seen are installation error. particularly regarding shitty grounds.
What Mark said.

You have to remember that this is a standard stator ignition system that you would find on most new bikes. They can and do fail, but across the legs usually only one leg goes out not all of them.

Try checking and rechecking grounds.