Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Brake light wiring 74 RD350

Started by JB Weld, June 15, 2020, 06:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Weld

Where does the grn/yep connect to the blue/wht?? Rear brake light turns on with foot brake, but front won't turn the brake light on. The switch works.

I put a new headlamp on and now having some wiring issues.

The left indicator on the dash also stays illuminated all of the time, even when the signals flash. I'm assuming I have something grounded that shouldn't be?

Thanks all for your replies! :metal:

rodneya

I dont think they connect. The b/w goes from turn signal switch to the light switch.
G/Y should run from the front brake switch to the brake checker and then to the rear light.

1976RD400C

Check the wiring diagram. The chocolate wire from the gauges connects to a 4-way connecter with 2 other chocolates and the black wire to the front left signal light. That's the signal indicator light in the gauges. The green/yellow that comes from the front brake switch goes to a yellow (but not the yellow that connects to headlight bulb).
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

forexer

Quote from: rodneya on June 15, 2020, 07:26:20 PM
I dont think they connect. The b/w goes from turn signal switch to the light switch.
G/Y should run from the front brake switch to the brake checker and then to the rear light.

start with the obvious 1st - if everything worked fine before you installed a new headlamp and now your having some wiring issues then retrace your steps and see if you accidentally disturbed some of the connections.

you also said that the left indicator on the dash stays illuminated all of the time even when the signals flash have you tried to see if this condition goes away when the bikes is running because these machines have weak batteries and with having only the key on I've seen this same condition with my bike which is the indicators stay on or sometimes they will not flash properly until the bike is running.

How do you know the front brake switch is good - How did you check it?

I would follow the wires that go from the front brake switch into the headlight bucket and then disconnect the 2 wires. Once disconnected hook up your multimeter which should be set on continuity and then actuate the brake lever making sure that in fact the switch is good. Once you know 100% that the front brake switch is good then follow the wires to the rear light.

According to the wiring diagram and If your rear stop switch operates normally like you said then the yellow wire off of the rear switch connects to the G/Y wire off of the front switch so with that said your yellow and G/Y wire shouldn't be your problem. Trace out the Brown wire coming from the front stop switch and see if its culprit - Hope this helps....

JB Weld

Thanks!

I'll dig more into it soon. I did check continuity at the switch. Disconnected the wires, held the leads on the switch and had my 9 year old pull the brake lever to confirm continuity.

I'll look into the yellow wires. The bike isn't running yet. I have also had wierd things happen in the past with turn signals, but was likely corrosion from storage as it would straighten out after a few miles.