Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Spec 2 chambers Gray Ghost

Started by Kawtriplefreak, August 16, 2023, 04:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on August 24, 2023, 01:31:42 PMWhat's your recipe? I've always wondered what to use; where does one buy "caustic soda", as advised by one of the books on my shelf?

Caustic soda is the main ingredient in most drain cleaners. Also called lye.

Carbon tetra-chloride does a great job of cleaning carbon out of pipes, but it is difficult to get these days.

Kawtriplefreak

Put 50 miles on it on Friday. 20 on Saturday. Ran hard 80-90 MPH on curvy back roads and temperature ran 185-190. Took it out on the interstate and it had a burble right at the transition trying to hold steady speed 1/8 to 1/4 throttle in 6th 6200-6500 RPM 70-75 MPH. How dare I try to ride it like a normal motorcycle! Above and below that perfect. Air temperature was 80 degrees. Airscrews are 1.0 turns out VM28 RD350 air-cooled carbs. 290 main jets, needles all the way rich. 30 pilots. So I decided it was lean right at the transition and took the pods off and put the Yboot with the big Uni filter on it as I am already as rich as I can go on the needle and already tried 32.5 pilots before and they made it too rich. I took it out again yesterday and it is better but ran worse after it warmed up, which tells me it was rich not lean. So I turned the airscrews in to 3/4 to confirm it was rich and it got worse. Turned the airscrews out to 1.25 and the burble is nearly gone and moved closer to 1/8 throttle at 60-65 MPH and 6000 RPM. Of course the air temperature was 10 degrees warmer so it wasn't an optimum jetting day. Long story short. I am cautiously optimistic that the cooling issue is solved and this burble can be worked out or not as it is very minor. Thanks M in SC for the advice as always.

m in sc