Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Carbs only get Gas when the choke is on

Started by Karl squire, September 17, 2023, 07:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl squire

Quote from: m in sc on September 18, 2023, 12:01:02 PMexactly. id jump up to a 32.5 or a 30.

Got some more Pilots, I'm at 30 1/2 turn out, leave it or go bigger, I cant remember what Mikuni says if it was 1/2 or less or 1/4 or less go bigger

Additional info, not much if any difference between 1/2 and fully closed.

I was just reading Mikuni's docs on Pilot jets, so basically it says find the peek rpm and then enrichen it 1/4 turn, this would mean I'm running at 1/4 turn out, Pilot too small?.       

m in sc

you can actually go up to 3 turns out, and as low as 1 in on recommended by mikuni. remember, its an air feed screw.  the reason you want at -least- 1 out and under 3 max (ideally.. aim for 1.5) is to keep circuit velocity ideal. yes, pilot prob too small.

Karl squire

Quote from: m in sc on September 18, 2023, 03:50:25 PMyou can actually go up to 3 turns out, and as low as 1 in on recommended by mikuni. remember, its an air feed screw.  the reason you want at -least- 1 out and under 3 max (ideally.. aim for 1.5) is to keep circuit velocity ideal. yes, pilot prob too small.
So with the 32.5, and I'm doing this with one plug pulled, this is what mikuni said to do, so with the 32.5, I'm at 3/4 turn out to get my highest RPM and they said once you get your highest RPM turn it in 1/4, seems with half a turn out or 3/4 depending on how you look at it, this seems to indicate too small still but for an RD350 with standard porting but JL pipes and Y boot a 32.5 should be big enough, no?. Also with the 32.5 it slows when its turned all the way in and reaches its highest RPM at 1/2 to 3/4 turn if I go beyond that the rpms do not change, does that make sense., I'm trying to figure out what that is telling me, could that be saying?

m in sc

its runnable at that point. it wants a 35 for some reason but you can def work w that 32.5. I know chuck used to like to run 37.5s and 40s in his bikes, but the motor doesnt lie. give it what it wants.

RustyRD

Karl, I ended up replacing it with a Pingel valve. be thorough in your process of troubleshooting.

Karl squire

Quote from: m in sc on September 18, 2023, 05:22:04 PMits runnable at that point. it wants a 35 for some reason but you can def work w that 32.5. I know chuck used to like to run 37.5s and 40s in his bikes, but the motor doesn't lie. give it what it wants.
So you think its possible it wants bigger Pilots, wow I didn't think any 350 would want bigger, do you think its possible its sucking air somewhere?    I also  have Read blocks in it they are spacers to make the intake longer, apparently better performance, would that cause it to want bigger pilots ?

1 hr after the above post edit
took everything off, Reed blocks, reads, cleaned everything spotless, made sure there was no question about a seal, started up, it sounds good, will go out and pick up a set of 35 pilots tomorrow and try them out, I would like to have it so the air screws are at least one full turn out. I'll let you know tomrrow how it goes. Thanks again for your help.

Karl squire

Quote from: RustyRD on September 18, 2023, 05:23:57 PMKarl, I ended up replacing it with a Pingel valve. be thorough in your process of troubleshooting.
Thanks buddy. cheers

Karl squire

Quote from: m in sc on September 18, 2023, 05:22:04 PMits runnable at that point. it wants a 35 for some reason but you can def work w that 32.5. I know chuck used to like to run 37.5s and 40s in his bikes, but the motor doesnt lie. give it what it wants.

I'm happy to say this is the end of this thread, Pilots are 30's Air screw 1 turn out. Thanks  M IN SC for your thoughts and help with this and everyone else who contributed to this. Cheers.

m in sc

sweet. so it revs out ok now? good news indeed.

Karl squire

RustyRD

congrats on getting to this point, this is the Best forum. No BS just honest input about real life experience. :whoop:  :whoop:

kramdua

yes never give up and keep relying on the 2 stroke world community to help you out.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.