Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Oil Pump Worm/Ring Gear

Started by Karl squire, September 20, 2023, 10:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl squire

Ok another question, Mostly if there are any tricks tips to this and we are talking bout those little wee springs and Little cylinder things those little tiny so and so's in the oil pump.

Any tricks on doing them, I have done them in the past but honestly I was always drunk when I did it and dont really remember, I do know I glued the tabs to the springs and this made it spring and tab as one unit, I'm doing that now but I thought I would post on here incase someone has a good trick to do this. Thanks Karl

Karl squire

Quote from: Karl squire on September 20, 2023, 10:43:51 AMOk another question, Mostly if there are any tricks tips to this and we are talking bout those little wee springs and Little cylinder things those little tiny so and so's in the oil pump.

Any tricks on doing them, I have done them in the past but honestly I was always drunk when I did it and dont really remember, I do know I glued the tabs to the springs and this made it spring and tab as one unit, I'm doing that now but I thought I would post on here incase someone has a good trick to do this. Thanks Karl
I got it done.

SoCal250

It's recommended you do it in a plastic bag so they don't go shooting across the shop into oblivion. But the last few times I've done it I hung an old bed sheet around my workbench to make a curtain barrier. I just hold the two pins into the distributor with the tips of my fingers and then gently (and patiently) try to slide the wheel over. Just make sure you've got the wheel oriented in the correct direction or you'll be taking it apart and doing it all over again.

EDIT: while I was writing my post it seems you got it figured out. :thumb:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

svgarage

I did mine last month. My pump only had one spring.  :umm:
A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint Exupéry

SoCal250

Quote from: svgarage on September 20, 2023, 07:21:40 PMI did mine last month. My pump only had one spring.  :umm:
There are supposed to be two sets of spring & pin, located directly apposite each other on the outside of the distributor and captured by the ID of the worm wheel. Each pin is about 1/2 the size of a piece of long grain rice.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

svgarage

Quote from: SoCal250 on September 20, 2023, 10:17:13 PM
Quote from: svgarage on September 20, 2023, 07:21:40 PMI did mine last month. My pump only had one spring.  :umm:
There are supposed to be two sets of spring & pin, located directly apposite each other on the outside of the distributor and captured by the ID of the worm wheel. Each pin is about 1/2 the size of a piece of long grain rice.
Yes, you described the single pin that I have. I had to search the internet to make sure that I wasn't crazy, since I couldn't find the spring and pin anywhere I was working. I even used a plastic bag. I carefully inspected the wear marks on my parts- only one side was used. I did finally find confirmation that not all pumps have 2 springs.

m in sc

last one i did i just used a solid pin that i cut out of stock. .02

svgarage

Personally, I'm not worried about it. From what I could tell, the pump had been untouched- that's the way it came and it was working fine. It's all back together just like I found it, albeit new seals, etc., and it's working flawlessly!

automan

I heard, later pumps had no springs, ala. m in sc.

cliff

Karl squire

Quote from: SoCal250 on September 20, 2023, 12:51:31 PMIt's recommended you do it in a plastic bag so they don't go shooting across the shop into oblivion. But the last few times I've done it I hung an old bed sheet around my workbench to make a curtain barrier. I just hold the two pins into the distributor with the tips of my fingers and then gently (and patiently) try to slide the wheel over. Just make sure you've got the wheel oriented in the correct direction or you'll be taking it apart and doing it all over again.

EDIT: while I was writing my post it seems you got it figured out. :thumb:
Thank you.

1976RD400C

Reference for those that have never seen how tiny.  :eek:

20230924-080223-1" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Karl squire

Yes them little buggers, such a pain in the ass to install. Omg.

Karl squire

Quote from: m in sc on September 21, 2023, 02:24:38 PMlast one i did i just used a solid pin that i cut out of stock. .02

You can do that with out the springs, hmmm good to know.

Karl squire

Quote from: svgarage on September 21, 2023, 01:45:47 AM
Quote from: SoCal250 on September 20, 2023, 10:17:13 PM
Yes, you described the single pin that I have. I had to search the internet to make sure that I wasn't crazy, since I couldn't find the spring and pin anywhere I was working. I even used a plastic bag. I carefully inspected the wear marks on my parts- only one side was used. I did finally find confirmation that not all pumps have 2 springs.
so everything was exactly the same as the 2 spring and pin system but it was only using one?

m in sc

on my r5, i rebuilt the pump and used an rz lower part of the body, and yes, it had 1 pin, no spring.

if you don't plan on using the priming wheel there's no need for the clutching mechanism. even yamaha stopped putting them on pumps ;)