This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

What did you do to your 2T today?

Started by pdxjim, July 07, 2019, 02:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

Quote from: rodneya on August 26, 2020, 10:21:54 AM

I tried the long unis, but the bend in the frame is directly behind the carb so they dont fit. The intake is actually the internal crossover version, but I took that piece out to get more clearance. I have ordered smaller intakes, but delivery is very slow these days.
I should have cut out that piece of the frame and added in a new piece with some clearance and a new rear motor mount, but I wanted to leave the frame alone so that I can put the AC motor back if I want to. Even the rad mounts are bolt on.

Im thinking of trying one of the flat foam type filters made for Weber or Delorto 45 downdraft carbs

On my KH400, I made intake runners from silicone turbo intercooler hose I got off ebay.  On the triple, I use one straight hose at the center, and 22* angle hoses on the outside to get all the filters inside the frame rails.  Worked great.

Some say  the increased intake runner length helps preserve some of the lowend that's lost when going pods instead of the airbox (Y boot theory).  I cannot confirm this, but my KH ran fantastic.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

rodneya

On my KH400, I made intake runners from silicone turbo intercooler hose I got off ebay.  On the triple, I use one straight hose at the center, and 22* angle hoses on the outside to get all the filters around the frame rails.  Worked great.

Some say  the increased intake runner length helps preserve some of the lowend that's lost when going pods instead of the airbox (Y boot theory).  I cannot confirm this, but my KH ran fantastic.
[/quote]

With smaller carbs that would work, but the TM34's are 2.25" diameter at the back, and there is only maybe 4 inches between the frame above the rear engine mount.
Thats why I started making a y boot to go straight back to a single filter. I may have to finish it, but it was very difficult to get on and off.

rodneya

Turned some squiggly shapes on paper into a new pipe that now tucked up out of the way.
Im not going to quit my day job to become a welder anytime soon, but they are designed and made by me and will clean up with a bit of time with a grinder.
Built not bought.

85RZwade

Fantastic. I say leave the welds as they are; along with the copper tubing at the brake switch, you've got a good start on a steam punk aesthetic! Good looking rear hub, too...
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

Knobby welds will be the next "in" thing. You'll be the trend-setter!
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Dvsrd

Dvsrd

Quote from: rodneya on September 04, 2020, 10:31:38 PM
Turned some squiggly shapes on paper into a new pipe that now tucked up out of the way.
Im not going to quit my day job to become a welder anytime soon, but they are designed and made by me and will clean up with a bit of time with a grinder.
Built not bought.

Oxy-acetylene or MIG Welding?  Looks like you did not use enough heat.
I have only tried pipe building using TIG, and have found that precise fit is critical.

And what software or method did you use for the cone templates?

sav0r

I got another RD350 this weekend. It was the low-low price of free. It's in pretty rough shape. I didn't grab any photos of it. I should have. It has the orange color scheme. No title or keys, so it will probably be a part out. Once I get home I'll take some photos. it's sitting at my father's place for the time being. It has some welded seam hydro formed pipes that are totally rusted off, they were probably sweet at one point.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

rodneya

Quote from: Dvsrd on September 21, 2020, 08:15:40 AM
Quote from: rodneya on September 04, 2020, 10:31:38 PM
Built not bought.

Oxy-acetylene or MIG Welding?  Looks like you did not use enough heat.
I have only tried pipe building using TIG, and have found that precise fit is critical.

And what software or method did you use for the cone templates?

Welding with a MIG. The cones are 22 ga, if I crank up the heat it just blows holes like crazy.
I used Cone designer by Ezin Hobeki to make the curved cone templates. Cones were hand cut and cleaned up on a belt sander after rolling, but the fit was not 100% perfect. There was also quite a bit of trial and error involved which did not help. I tried first with making a paper pipe template but it was a bit flimsy and was driving me nuts, so I just went straight to production mode. Ill get around to some grinding and neatening up the pipes when the weather turns, but for now the pipes work great and the silencers I Made sound pretty good.

Welding that with TIG would have taken me forever

1976RD400C

Big project going on here. Make, welded, and rattle canned a new hook for my tool kit hold down strap.

20200921-151313" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Dvsrd

Finally made some progress on my rearset pegs with cable for the rear brake. Sort of TR350 inspired. Using 7 mm alloy angle for the cable stopper setup, and the muffler hanger will be 6 mm alloy plate, sandwiched between footpeg plate and frame, and at the same time acting as a spacer to avoid interference with the swing arm bolt. The footpeg plate also will prevent the swing arm bolt from sliding out, should the nuts come off. I had to fit the bolt from the RH side, to gain a little bit more clearance..

Dvsrd

Today I just continued working on the rearset/ cable brake bracket. Finalized the shape and made a cable retainer out of some 20 mm alloy channel I had.

85RZwade

Good lookin' and bomb-proof. I think you could sell them!
I post waayyy too much

1976RD400C

Kind of, sort of, just like new again. I left the stitches in on the inside of it.

20200925-091703" border="0
20200925-091711" border="0
20200925-122700" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Arrow

Quote from: 1976RD400C on September 25, 2020, 12:54:40 PM
Kind of, sort of, just like new again. I left the stitches in on the inside of it.

20200925-091703" border="0
20200925-091711" border="0
20200925-122700" border="0
Nice job.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk