This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Permatex crankcase sealant?

Started by rd400canuck, January 13, 2020, 07:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Hey guys,

I started to look into a Yamabond equivalent that I can get from Canadian Tire and I sort of entered a rabbit hole.

They have one called Motoseal but a couple people online said it cures too fast (20 mins) and by the time they got around to getting halves together and torquing everything properly it had already cured too much and some bearings werent properly squeezed.

Anyone have any suggestion for something I can get in Canada?

suey1958

Pretty sure most guys here will recommend Motoseal. I'm sure they will chime in shortly.

m in sc

ive had no issues with motoseal at all. not nearly as runny and seals really, really well.  :twocents: ive used it on the last 6 or 7 motor builds, zero issues.  it does skin over pretty quick but when you apply pressure to the cases it seals, make no doubt.

rd400canuck

ok.. thanks for all the feedback guys.. and thanks for the offer to redirect yaman.. good bunch of guys here for sure.

I'll go get some motoseal. I'll just make sure I have everything fitting together properly and ready to go... like one should anyways lol  to avoid any hiccups allowing it to potentially dry more than Id like before everything is all torqued down.

Just waiting on some gear train bearings from Econocycle and then I'll have everything I need to start putting this bike back together. I ordered a leakdown tester from the too. Might as well make sure its airtight after all the money and effort I'm putting into it.

My plan was to fully dismantle and repaint and replace everything to make the bike minty... but after the cost of the bike, parts, a rebuilt crank and tires ect this is already approaching $6000 CDN easily.

bitzz

I buy 3Bond at my local auto parts store.
YamaBond, same stuff, is available at any Yamaha dealer.
You can order 3 bond from Winner's Circle in Toronto

OnlyCrimnson

I've done 4 with motoseal and not had any issues with it.

Jspooner

I use Permatex Anaerobic. Works awesome, easy clean up too.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"