Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Freeway did her in

Started by Striker1423, September 12, 2020, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arrow

0.35mm is big. I'm wondering why the priming wheel doesn't turn the pump over? Post a video of this, if possible.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

m in sc

sounds like the plunger isn't returning.

Arrow

A photo would be most useful here, a short video even more so....

Striker, Just to confirm we are not getting crossed wires here, can you confirm the pump has the white plastic thumb/priming wheel on the back, or not? Sometimes people refer to the pulley (that has the cable attached) as the 'wheel'.

JB Weld

After I rebuilt my pump, it wouldn't stroke using the wheel. I found that the gasket for the pump housing is thicker than oem and takes up the clearance, requiring more shims. To verify, remove the plate at the end of the shaft(where you check clearance) and then see if the pump will operate by turning the wheel.

Arrow

Quote from: JB Weld on September 13, 2020, 08:48:39 PM
After I rebuilt my pump, it wouldn't stroke using the wheel. I found that the gasket for the pump housing is thicker than oem and takes up the clearance, requiring more shims. To verify, remove the plate at the end of the shaft(where you check clearance) and then see if the pump will operate by turning the wheel.
This would be rectified before committing the pump to service - surely? Striker states 0.35mm.

pdxjim

I seized my TDR under roughly the same circumstances, so I feel for you.  75mph to locked solid is no fun at all.

Your in the best of hands with pump guru Arrow, best of luck.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Alain2

1973 RD350, 1977 RD400, 1979 RD400, 1980 RD400, 1985 MJ50, Goped Zenoah 30cc.

Striker1423

Here's a video explaining what I did and how I had to check it.

https://youtu.be/eBsFIeQ1xrw

Arrow

There is quite a bit going on there! I can't explain why there is movement when the motor runs, but none when you turn the wheel. I simply have not seen that before. First time for everything I guess, but something is not right for sure.
Please replace the cable tie on the inlet pipe with the correct wire clip. Where the block is there is a gap, not good. Also the retainers on the outlet pipes do not fit all the way round the pipes. This is bad news as the motor can pull air through those joints, due to a constant vacuum in those pipes when the motor is running.

Arrow

Can you try another thing please? Start the motor and hold the pulley right down towards the main body of the pump, so its on full stroke. It should be observed that on the inward stroke the shims pretty much contact the end of the top casting. Is this so, or is there a gap? If the latter, how big?
Again, a short video would help.

m in sc

the spring under the cable pulley isnt seated in the body either. or at least sure looks that way.  :umm:

Arrow

Quote from: m in sc on September 14, 2020, 10:57:40 AM
the spring under the cable pulley isnt seated in the body either. or at least sure looks that way.  :umm:
Those "early" pulleys have a much bigger PCD where the cable runs, and two fitting points. One is below where the cable runs.

m in sc

look at the spring un-tensioned by the cable.

Arrow

The spring is returning the pulley, as far as I can see. Its a pattern spring, by the way.

m in sc

just looked odd to me. but i defer to your expertise on the pump.

i still think its the tune that caused the seizure.  :twocents: