Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

77RD 400 1st start after 27 yrs

Started by forexer, May 22, 2020, 07:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IR8D8R

When I got my RD350 the oil system was removed. One carb had the oil injector fitting still in the carb and capped and the other was missing and had a screw threaded into the hole in the carb body and sealed with silicone. I didn't like that.

I measured the injector tube (carb side) with a caliper and went to a local hardware store that has a display setup that carries lengths of brass and aluminum tubing. Found the correct size in brass and tapped a piece into the carb with a nylon hammer and cut it off to about 10mm long. It was a good friction fit. A piece of tubing about 14" long was less than $3. Then I put a vacuum cap on it.

I think Hobby Lobby has these displays and so does Home Depot.

IR8D8R

forexer

Quote from: IR8D8R on May 27, 2020, 02:51:08 PM

I measured the injector tube (carb side) with a caliper and went to a local hardware store that has a display setup that carries lengths of brass and aluminum tubing. Found the correct size in brass and tapped a piece into the carb with a nylon hammer and cut it off to about 10mm long. It was a good friction fit. A piece of tubing about 14" long was less than $3. Then I put a vacuum cap on it.

IR8D8R

Thanks for the tip IR8D8R however I already ordered the correct fittings from Economy and hopefully the USPS delivers the parts soon so I can try and fire this thing up

forexer

Ok all the new parts I ordered came in and my central tool #278 ignition timing tool also arrived so I'm ready to get this going and I ran into another issue.

This is problem I'm having it's the same exact thing going on with my bike as in the video.

It's a continuous beep whether the points are opened or closed - I also disconnected the battery and it did not help.

Have you guys experienced this before - any suggestions?

Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq3bMRn2xyUguys also

Czakky

You will have continuity when points open but a higher(?) resistance due to the primary(?) windings of the coil finding ground through the plugs. I use a test light that will light up when points open.
Is your weak spark related to having a resistor plug? How's your battery?

forexer

Thanks for the reply it didn't matter if I used a buzzer, a light or my old analog Simpson 260 mulitmeter the continuity would "NOT" break when the points opened.

What I did was remove the connection at the battery - removed the orange and gray point wires as well as the condenser wires and only then would the continuity break.

So once disconnected  I was able to time the engine and double check it with the key on and the spark plug popped right at the dials 2.1mm BTDC mark so it's good to go.

Re-Installed the gas tank and filled it up with pre-mix fuel going to kick it over in the morning and hopefully it will fire up for it's 1st time in 27 years

Barto

How exciting!  I'll cross my fingers for no expensive noises!

Jspooner:  Thanks for the Autolube check procedure.  I'll find Chuck's write up too.

I'm just finishing the re-upholstery of my Benelli Cobra seat, the last piece of it's resurrection (until the crank seals go!).  After that I'll dive into the resurrection of my 400F, which has also been asleep since before I got it, and almost as long.  I finished paying it off and took it home in '03 but it had already been sitting since at least '98 with a front brake cyl. problem, a fresh 2nd O.S. bore and only 5100 mi.  So maybe only 22 years derelict.  (I know, I know, but I was always a dirtbike guy, and had trauma from my older, street bike riding brother with crazy close-calls and hits from the Commuting Wars.) 
'79 400F                             '82 KZ750E
'79 Husqvarna WR390          '70 MTD minibike
'77 Husqvarna CR390           '55 Indian Woodsman (British 500 Bullet) basket
'75 Bultaco Alpina 350
'66 Benelli Cobra 125

SUPERTUNE

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

forexer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKhhQQJfHR4&feature=youtu.be

Fired up 2nd kick just took it around the block this machine is very happy and now it idles perfectly  :whoop:

Thanks again everyone for the help great site great people  :thumbs:

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

SUPERTUNE

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com