Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

kickstand relocation question

Started by rdsarefun, December 13, 2023, 10:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdsarefun

I am working with our machinist at work (who coincidentally has some RD's) to fab up our own kickstand relocation kits to use with chambers.  He can model these and then cut out on CNC plasma cutter. Was wondering if anyone had some dimensions or could provide detailed pics to save some work, seem pretty simple to make and could potentially offer up to members.  Thanks

2steve

I have a kit on the RD400. Kickstand still smacks the FPP pipe but not as likely to drag the pavement.
Be aware of the possibility that you take out too much lean angle. I really cannot use the stock steering lock or it will fall over the other way.

IR8D8R

I had a bad kickstand interference issue with my chambers on my RD 350. Dragging on corners and rubbing on the pipe. My kickstand mount had been cracked at the plate and poorly booger welded at some point. I tried one of the extenders and it didn't help. Made it worse in some ways. Very early FPP chambers. The side stand is not bent. I had intended to make a stand from scratch.

I ended up carefully cutting off the mount with a zip wheel, replacing the cracked sheet metal plate on the bottom of the frame, and moved the stock mounting bracket out so that it welded to the frame tube and the bottom plate. They are originally welded only to the plate. Maybe moved it out by 1/2"-3/4" while testing the folded and unfolded positions with the mount clamped in place. It folds perfectly flat against the frame and completely misses the chambers. It is leaned a bit further than stock but less than with the extender. No more sparks on tight left turns. You could extend the length of the stand with a piece of EMT or block under the foot to correct the lean. I had to remove one pipe to accomplish this and laid the bike down on some blocks with the tank off. It looks basically stock. No regrets. Others have moved the mount forward which probably leans over less. Not sure that is as stable welded just to the frame tube. 

IR8D8R

m in sc

ive never liked those relocation kits, ever. my opinion is a side stand for the application would be better, not terribly hard to make, 1 knuckle, a tube and a foot. If there was a tubing bender, welding capabilities pretty easy, i made my own it wasn't bad.

IR8D8R

I've seen yours on the lightweight bike Mark. It's very sanitary. IIRC It was made with a piece of EMT?

I was going to imitate yours, but what I ended up with makes me happy. I may need to shim it with a brass washer because the mount and stand joint are a bit worn or the tolerances are just loose. The bolt has wear. I found a NOS shouldered bolt on eBay. That should help tighten it up. I don't remember if I still have the OEM castellated nut. I think I just pinned behind a regular nut with a cotter. You really can't use the nut to cinch it up. My first year at DG I had it held up with a bungee. It was making a light show on every left and making me cringe.

IR8D8R

m in sc

lightweight has an aluminum triumph kickstand on it bolted to the motor, the LC is a bent piece of dom tubing. (which i think it what you were referring to).