This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Motor running away at start

Started by patastinky, January 07, 2021, 02:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

350GUY

Air leakage symptoms??
Re-torque cylinder head, check reed block gasket....

JB Weld

You have some good advice to start with. I've had mine rev to the moon because the crossover tube wasn't on all the way. This was first start up in front of the wife and kids. Scared the crap out of all of us.

Jspooner

He said he had his idle screws turned in all the way "tight". That's the problem. All of the info and advice here is good, but he needs to eliminate one thing at a time. I would bet my next paycheck that if he adjusts the idle the way it's explained to do in this thread the problem will be solved.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

patastinky

thanks guys. I didn't have a chance today to work on the bike. Going to try tomorrow. Appreciate all the advice.Stay tuned.
1975 RD350 (under construction)

KANDY

:dawg: :dawg:
Quote from: JB Weld on January 09, 2021, 07:42:26 PM
This was first start up in front of the wife and kids. Scared the crap out of all of us.
1974 RD350
1977 RD400
1979 RD400 Daytona Special

rdsarefun

I had a similar issue when I put my bike together.  I spoke with Chuck Q a few times as he did the machine work.  With no load on the bike and the throttle slides just cracked open slightly it would run away, having to hit kill switch.  Was a combination of throttle cable hanging up when turning bars, fixed that and still did not correct.  Ended up being an exhaust port leak  from my J&L chambers.  Took the flanges to work, faced off the plates and put a heavy paper gasket with some RTV on both sides (just enough to seal, not too much).  After curing, bike fired right up and idled smoothly