Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

i gave in.

Started by kramdua, April 21, 2023, 03:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kramdua

not far from 10.5 so i can relate. it's a little tight but i am used to it.
good luck,
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

LMS

Quote from: LMS on April 22, 2023, 11:06:47 AM
I might get rid of these and get a set from slipstream in the near future, or I might even try GP shifting which seems interesting. But you still have to down shift, so not sure how much that really helps.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

LMS

Quote from: m in sc on April 22, 2023, 09:43:41 AM
i machined a longer lever for an old set of motocareras a few years ago for dave, made a big difference, added 1.5" to the total length.
Whooops, quoted myself above.
This! My bike is still in somewhat pieces, and i only rode it a few times before I tore it apart. I have size 12 shoes, put rear sets back on as a test fit and with my 12-shoe size, the levers are just waaaaay to short.

kramdua

i think once you get things going back together you will be able to see if you could make some kind of extension for your shifter. the brake shouldn't be a problem since your pushing down on it.
good luck with your build.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

kramdua

8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

LMS

I had some time today to fool around with the rear sets I have. I'm 6-3 and I'm installing a seat that will be much lower than a stock seat. That means my long legs will be more scrunched up. Slipstream has rear sets that have your legs pretty far back, but I would like to NOT spend 325 bucks. It's one of the reasons why I'm looking at slipstreams because of how far the peg/lever attaches. I test fitted the Moto Carrera lever/peg I have by attaching them to the rear foot peg opening, shifter side, and find this seems to work frickn great, comfort wise. I have not tested to see if the chamber will fit and would have to purchase a longer shift rod. It's also a tad lower, not sure if it would scrape, doubt it since I will not be pushing it. Has anyone done this before? Not sure about the brake side just yet, but it's the shifter side that needs more attention.
Thx.

kramdua

it sounds like you're on the right track. you are a big dude though. at 5'9" i've always wanted to be taller. i fit on my rd very well and for once i am pleased to be shorter.
good luck,
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

m in sc

thats actually how the OLD school specII ones used to mount, it works fine.

LMS

Awesome! I'll test fit the chamber and go from there.

LMS

Well, that was somewhat of a failure for now. The pipes I have are somewhat bulbous in that area which would make it a tad hard to shift. I might be able to drop the pipe down some to make it work. My question is in regard to the rear foot peg brackets. Am I correct in assuming that in order to remove those brackets, one has to pull the swingarm bolt out? If so, that seems like a ton of work, per say.

m in sc

correct. not that bad actually. however, you also have to space out the distance w washers or a  spacer to take up the gap int he bolt that will be lost when you remove the hangers, or you'll lose the ability to tighten it down enough.

space the peg out have the shifter/peg clear the pipe would be my suggestion, use a longer bolt if nec.  also if you can space the pipe in a bit.

LMS

Thx Mark.
I can shim the pipe in towards the wheel about 5/8's of an inch but it's still a tight fit with my foot. Doesn't look like I can really drop the pipe down any because when I do it binds within the exhaust port. I drilled a hole above the hole where the rear peg attaches, nope, still not enough room. I also tried shimming the rearset away from the bracket 3/4's on an inch, nope. Sooooooo after further ado, I'm taking the stock moto carrera bracket and moving it back about 1.5 inches and down a tad from where it is now. That's the best I can do with these pipes, but it's better than the stock location for my long ass legs and big feet.
My thought was to remove the rear peg brackets and make my own for the rearsets, but based on the chamber, the above will be the best I can do. A new bracket will do nothing to help.

kramdua

i made these brackets to move my controls back and down slightly. after i got done it really didn't do much but i don't need to put my foot peg up to start it.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

LMS

Quote from: kramdua on April 27, 2023, 03:27:03 PM
i made these brackets to move my controls back and down slightly. after i got done it really didn't do much but i don't need to put my foot peg up to start it.

That bracket almost looks like what slipstream sells, and was also what I had in mind. Looks like you might have lomas pipes which have more room for your feet from what I can tell from other pixs? And what bike do you have, is yours an LC because the case is different than mine? I also tried the same shift arm you bought off I think, Amazon, but it would not work on my bike because the case is different. Does anyone have an idea on what the shift arm length should be? The one i have is 2 inches from center line of shaft to center of hole.

kramdua

i work at a ford dealer for 20 years and on cars like the ford crown victoria's replacement alternator came with a new bracket so you could mount it on different years. so i kept a lot of the brackets that weren't needed and that's where the metal came from.
those are JL pipes.
the bike is a 1975 rd350 and for some reason the previous owner put a rd400 side cover on the shifter side. maybe he liked the looks. i was going to change back to the 350 cover but it was already painted and looked good.
here is a picture of the bracket.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.