Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Clutch grab on deacceleration

Started by AtLarge, August 25, 2019, 03:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLarge

I am kind of struggling with proper clutch adjustment.  I have the prescribed free play in the clutch lever.  I have the clutch adjusted to what I think would be maximum grab when released however, two things I notice.

If I pull in the clutch while it's in gear the bike still moves when I kick.  Shouldn't I be able to kick start it while in key just holding the clutch?

While riding, when I let off the throttle, I can get a jerkiness of the clutch or the bike still trying to lurch going forward.  Shouldn't it just be a steady winding down using the compression of the motor?

:umm:

1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1994 BMW K1100RS
2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

Czakky

AtLarge

Oh, ya.  That would help.  It's my 2 stroke Kawasaki Bighorn.  I should add, I got a chance to work on it this afternoon.  I lowered the fuel level and that helped a lot even though I had it set to factory spec.  Idles and accelerates better than ever.  Had a little surge too and now that is gone.  Since doing that the grabbiness of the clutch has cut back too now.  Still there but not nearly as bad as it was.  I also adjusted my clutch cable again and that seemed to help as well.  However, I am thinking my clutch cable is pretty much stretched and that's why I can't get a complete release.  It doesn't creep when the motor is running but, pushing it around in the garage with it in gear, and clutch pulled in I can still feel the drag.
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1994 BMW K1100RS
2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

Striker1423

Quote from: AtLarge on August 25, 2019, 10:52:49 PM
Oh, ya.  That would help.  It's my 2 stroke Kawasaki Bighorn.  I should add, I got a chance to work on it this afternoon.  I lowered the fuel level and that helped a lot even though I had it set to factory spec.  Idles and accelerates better than ever.  Had a little surge too and now that is gone.  Since doing that the grabbiness of the clutch has cut back too now.  Still there but not nearly as bad as it was.  I also adjusted my clutch cable again and that seemed to help as well.  However, I am thinking my clutch cable is pretty much stretched and that's why I can't get a complete release.  It doesn't creep when the motor is running but, pushing it around in the garage with it in gear, and clutch pulled in I can still feel the drag.
How old is the clutch itself? Have you ever lubed the cable?

At worst the basket is hooped and needs filed or replaced. At easiest, you need to lube the clutch cable.  :twocents:

Dvsrd

Most bikes have 2 clutch adjustments, one at the actuator, and one at the lever. If the Big Horn is like that, you need to adjust the actuator correctly first, then adjust for correct cable play at the handlebar.

quocle603

Quote from: Dvsrd on August 28, 2019, 12:42:03 AM
Most bikes have 2 clutch adjustments, one at the actuator, and one at the lever. If the Big Horn is like that, you need to adjust the actuator correctly first, then adjust for correct cable play at the handlebar.

Yep. This is some solid advice. Clean your clutch adjustment with some WD40 or degreaser. Then regrease. Lube up your cable, or get a new one. Reassemble and test ride.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC