Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Crusty ports to be smoothed?

Started by rd400canuck, November 06, 2019, 02:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Hi again,

Here's a couple pics of the ports in my new jugs I bought. You can see that transfer port looks crusty as hell... I'm assuming it would make sense for me to smooth that down? It's the aluminum not dirt.

Also there is a very pronounced ridge across the top on the intake tract and the boost port. Should I smooth that down, too? If not the entire length maybe just the ridge that goes across the boost port?

teazer

Insert the reed cages to see if there's any restriction.  Reeds are quite a bit smaller - as a rule - than the ports, so it's not necessary to remove all that metal unless you plan on using larger reeds and cages.

On the transfers, there's not a lot of flow along the floor of the port (short turn radius), but that one is a bit lumpy.  I'd clean it up.  At worst it won't hurt and at best it will be an improvement.

rd400canuck

Ah ok that makes sense... to see where the reed cages go and see if that ridge is even in the way of any flow. And sure enough I put them in and had a good look and that ridge is by no means in the way of anything. Thanks!