Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

H4 halogens burning out

Started by JB Weld, August 02, 2022, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Weld

Just installed a Vape on my RD350 and now my headlight bulbs keep dying. Another bit of information is that I parked my bike last May due to a charging issue and it has a 5ah AGM scooter battery dated 2020. I noticed after installing the ignition the battery drops to 10.8 volts after the bike is shut off.

Maybe my battery is bad?

The bulbs last a few days. I've been shutting the lights off before killing it and turning on after starting to hopefully make the bulbs last longer.

Thinking of switching to an LED bulb since my signals and tail are already LED. The only thing stopping me is frying a new LED right away.

m in sc

yup you have a dead cell in the battery. the system is spiking and burning out the filament.

run an auxito led as well. you'll love it.

Striker1423

If you run the EC headlight conversion (lens etc, in RD headlight bucket). Then, for the auxito, you have to grind off parts of the bulb to get it to fit into the housing. Not a bad job and the LED lamp is a god-send at night.

JB Weld

I put one in my Amazon cart this morning because of past posts about the Auxito.

I am running the Emgo replacement headlamp from Economy. Hopeful it will fit no problem. Maybe it's the same modification I already do to the regular Halogen.

Thanks for the confirmation on the battery. I'll get one ordered.

Clem710

Yes dead cell in battery and I'd also be certain that the diodes and regulator are working properly.  Either one acting up is no bueno for batteries, the regulator is probably worse for the headlights.

Dead regulators is what kills the lithium batteries and occasionally sets them on fire.