Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

67 kawi C2TR 120

Started by m in sc, February 27, 2019, 04:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

My craigslist bike, from a post on here (old site) actually. grabbed it in '13. I love this thing. as bought:

there was some minor wiring and charging issues, got all that fixed.

went through and did a motor rebuild. was pretty cut and dry.

repainted frame, fit some tires, rebuilt forks, put on some heavier rear shocks for my fat ass. .  Tried keeping the injector system but the 3 pumps i had (2 bought) all seeped. So went premix.

took it on the distinguished gentlemans ride in 2015.

as it sits today. that front fender was NOT easy to find.

Its a 4 speed, has the "rotary shift of death" pattern (n-1 down, 2 down, 3 down, 4 down, n down, repeat). max is about 60-62mph. super fun.

Oil Burner

SoCal250

That's quite a transformation :clap:  Cool little bike
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

thanks guys., heres a few pics from the DGR 15

Cam

What a great classic looking bike! I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

m in sc

Tracked down an early (non hi-lo) LH engine cover for my 67 kawasaki.t he original had the middle broken out  and i sort of repaired it about 10 years ago. these are not easy to find, so lucky when this one came up.

not my best work, was some of my 1st aluminum welding. the metal was so contaminated i am surprised it ever stuck.

new part:

dupli color silver caliper paint was a dead match to the stock paint as you can see here (bottom is oem)

somebody must have recently bought up old inventory, a glut of NOS parts for this has come up recently. I have a new headpipe, exhaust collar and silencer on way.  also have a spare seat I bought getting recovered locally (the stock one is a bit crunchy and has 4 small tears. )

soonerbillz

That's a pretty cool bike.
 Love to have one for Tiddler rides.
 Congratulations on the parts!

m in sc

thanks i'll be honest, this things a relative tank. i've never had it not run, only failur ei ever had was a took it to work, the condenser failed on startup to take it home. so i left it here, rode a different bike home, repaired it a few days later. way way more reliable than any of the G3's ive dealt with.   

IR8D8R

Mark,
  You can change the gearing. That's cool. Do you use a chain with 2 master links and carry the extra piece in street mode?
The can above the back of the case is the air cleaner? Sort of a complicated induction route. I tried to look up an engine diagram and discovered that this is also a Kawasaki C-2 TR (It doesn't have a carburetor apparently):

IR8D8R

m in sc

Its c2tr, yes. (they made a c2ss as well, street version) rotary valve on the RH side. 

the large sprocket is actually 'dished'. the way it works is, the larger sprocket is held on by 4 bolts with a spring between the sprockets on each bolt, i swear they are clutch springs. the idea is, you put it on center stand, take master link off, use the 4 14mm head bolts and tighten them until the sprocket is tight against the smaller' street' sprocket. since its dished, the CL of the sprocket lines up. you then add in the extra links provided stock, use 2 master links, go trail riding. come back, reverse and ride it home. I have to admit, its clever.  the end of the next model year is when the introduced the quick change hi/lo at the motor. 

(note part # 14)

another oddity is that 1: there was no stock front brake switch, i added a cable one from an 'ss' model.2: there was never a horn, the switch space is empty. same w the turn signals, and no wiring to do so. I could add them, but it didn't come with them originally. oddly, there was a flasher buried in there but it had never been plugged in.

IR8D8R

Internet says there was a factory "trail kit" to change the originally produced SS into a TR with the dual sprocket, fender raising adapter, and luggage rack before they sold 2 models. Looks like the early ones only have the street gearing from the showroom. Then they started selling 2 versions later. Don't know if the kit continued after that or if all the later TR's had both sprockets. The high pipe was the standard. Neat little bike. "Road Runner". Never saw one before.

IR8D8R

SoCal250

New cover looks great! :thumbs: Cool little bike
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

sort of.. 64? up to 66 were all ss, then in 67, they produced both versions factory ready to go. that's what mine is.

all factory parts on mine and only had 1100 miles when i got it, and i got it from the second owner who just passed it thru to me from the 1st one.

it was def 'made' the way i received it, the optional parts even in the factory fiche were not the CT parts 1967 and later... but, turn signals, horns, different seat, etc.
. . the later ones did not have both sprockets either, for sure. 

you could buy all the parts to convert pre 67 for sure, and probably past, but both versions were factory produced starting in 1967, which is what mine is.

Its the only one I have owned, and with all the different versions made, or supposedly out there,  i learned a LOT buying parts and researching it over the past 10 years and as we have all learned,t he best way to learn about a specific bike is to try to find parts for it.. and there isn't much good info on them out there, either. the wikipedia page leaves a lot to be desired.

dgorms

Rotary shift was a real killer for the inexperienced!
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum