This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD350 28mm carbs on RD350LC

Started by motodreams, June 17, 2019, 07:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motodreams

Hi All,

After having difficulty finding hte stock 26mm LC carbs I am going with the AC 28mm which are much more readily available.

Curious on a starting point for jetting.  The RZ and LC run well over 200 jets without the PJ.  The AC carbs are 140 mains stock.  Both engines are the same displacement. 

Is there a reason for this large gap in jetting?  Both are Mikuni carbs.

Trying to figure out the 'why' on this one.

Thanks!

m in sc

lc and ac rd will jet close.(IVE USED 28MM AC CARBS ON AN LC W CHAMBERS, VERY CLOSE JETTING TO AN ACRD WITH CHAMBERS.) however, the jet tubes and everything else are completely different between the stock carbs, so toss those stock numbers out unless you plan on being bone stock otherwise.  how will the lc be set up? intake, pipes, porting, etc.

forget about the rz too.

pdxjim

Just a reminder, if you don't have the Mikunis already,  PWK28s are on sale at Bike Bandit for $119 each.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

lawnboy

man would love one to replace the oko i've been fighting on my kitted lambretta but site says "sold out"

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

lawnboy

sweet! i've got 65 bandit bucks i've been sittin on
thanks for the link jim

motodreams

This is helpful and explains a whole lot.

I'm running stock chambers (early CDN RZ) with pod filters at 3000ft elevation.  Should I try a 150 in there to start or is that still too small?

With the differing jet tubes this is essentially allowing more fuel to flow with a smaller jet?  Is that the correct theory?

Quote from: m in sc on June 17, 2019, 08:27:50 PM
lc and ac rd will jet close.(IVE USED 28MM AC CARBS ON AN LC W CHAMBERS, VERY CLOSE JETTING TO AN ACRD WITH CHAMBERS.) however, the jet tubes and everything else are completely different between the stock carbs, so toss those stock numbers out unless you plan on being bone stock otherwise.  how will the lc be set up? intake, pipes, porting, etc.

forget about the rz too.

quocle603

Always buy a number of jets within a range and start at your highest and work your way down.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

m in sc

if you have stock aircooled 350 carbs and pods and chambers, you need to start jetting at 250-260 mains, 30 pilots. the lack of airbox makes the biggest difference.  yeah, that big of a jump, im not kidding. then work up or down from there.  :twocents:

Quote from: motodreams on June 18, 2019, 02:05:44 AM
This is helpful and explains a whole lot.

I'm running stock chambers (early CDN RZ) with pod filters at 3000ft elevation.  Should I try a 150 in there to start or is that still too small?

With the differing jet tubes this is essentially allowing more fuel to flow with a smaller jet?  Is that the correct theory?

Quote from: m in sc on June 17, 2019, 08:27:50 PM

forget about the rz too.

motodreams

Thanks M!  Much appreciated.  I will start there. 

That is also close to where I would expect the stocker 26mm carbs to jet as well.