Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Best Front Brake Rotor for Vintage Racing

Started by rlloydm, July 23, 2022, 10:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

@ rlloydm

what diameter is that 996 rotor? might be interested in it if you decide to part w it.  :gentleman: :whistle:

teazer

Quote from: Hawaii-Mike on July 27, 2022, 09:33:34 PM
Teazer I admire your brake discs!

Too funny.   

The interesting thing is how little the bottom right CBR600 disk weighs compared to any of the TZ disks in that picture.  We don't need big thick heavy carriers or thick heavy disks to provide effective braking. Technically the CBR disk is not floating but there is room to flex slightly so may be illegal in some race organizations. I used a pair of them on the GT750 Phat Trakka project.

Bottom left wheel was fitted to a TZ350E which I sold a while back and the top right TZ500 style came off another TZ350E.

You could probably use a caliper with smaller swept are to create higher leverage and better braking and machine a light larger diameter carrier to "move" the effective swept area outwards.

oxford

Quote from: teazer on July 28, 2022, 11:40:42 AM
The interesting thing is how little the bottom right CBR600 disk weighs compared to any of the TZ disks in that picture.  We don't need big thick heavy carriers or thick heavy disks to provide effective braking.

I had fitted a crb600rr rotor to a Kawi h1.  Crazy how much lighter that rotor was compared to the stock boat anchor that came on the bike.

rlloydm

Quote from: m in sc on July 28, 2022, 10:24:16 AM
@ rlloydm

what diameter is that 996 rotor? might be interested in it if you decide to part w it.  :gentleman: :whistle:

320 mm and I have two of them. Hell, I even machined a spacer for one. All yours if you're interested.

irk_miller

I assume it's pretty common knowledge around here, but 1996/7 YZF600r front rotors bolt right up to an RD or XS hub (Honda CB550/750/GL1000, too). 

(I hope my tire lettering doesn't offend.  It's the best pic I had of the swap)