Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Lets build some chambers

Started by oxford, May 28, 2023, 11:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxford

Quote from: m in sc on May 28, 2023, 03:06:41 PMlove the hanger bolt method.

Thanks.  I came up with this for the JL pipes I had on the bike, and just used the same for these.  The JL's don't look quite as nice on the mounting since it has the big slot on the mounting tab.  It was also a little tricky to get the correct size hole in the slot.

I had originally used a version of this with the grommets and shoulder bolts on a set of WTF pipes for a kawi triple.

m in sc

im going to steal the threaded insert method/shoulder bolt grommet, for sure down the road.  :toot: 

Striker1423

I would totally lose my foot pegs and center stand for a set of these!

Evans Ward

Beautiful craftsmanship! You have such a talent!  :clap:  :olaf:  :thumbs:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

sav0r

The amount of welding on the bendy bit makes me anxious. As in, I can't fathom how long that took.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

I have to ask: why the vanguards and not something like specII's? (for example) i didn't think they (vanguards) made good power. the craftsmanship is pretty amazing though, well done indeed.

oxford

Quote from: m in sc on June 01, 2023, 11:51:26 AMI have to ask: why the vanguards and not something like specII's? (for example) i didn't think they (vanguards) made good power. the craftsmanship is pretty amazing though, well done indeed.

I had the DXF files for them from a long time ago and was looking for something to do over the winter.

I didn't initially make them when I was putting the bike together because I thought they weren't going to look right on a TZ rep and just went with a set of JLs.  After getting them on the bike I don't think they look all that bad.  I do think I have them tucked up higher then the originals were.

As far as power, I think there are still some dyno charts out there from the originals.

oxford

Quote from: sav0r on June 01, 2023, 11:44:52 AMThe amount of welding on the bendy bit makes me anxious. As in, I can't fathom how long that took.

I think it took more time to get them tacked together than it did to finish weld them out. Finish welding is easy if you did your part up to that point.  Get your welder settings dialed in, mash the pedal, and run it.

m in sc

i get it, was just curious. maybe they will work better than what i remember they did, but they look fantastic for sure.   :cheerleader:  :patriot:

Kawtriplefreak

Dvsrd

Quote from: m in sc on June 01, 2023, 11:51:26 AMI have to ask: why the vanguards and not something like specII's? (for example) i didn't think they (vanguards) made good power. the craftsmanship is pretty amazing though, well done indeed.
Mark,
The dyno sheet on the Vangurd site shown 43 hp with stock porting, and at pretty low revs. A totally stock 350 would not be much over 30 hp on a dyno, I believe. So how much more power would a set of Spec 2 or JL give on stock porting?

Dvsrd

Quote from: Kawtriplefreak on June 01, 2023, 03:04:43 PMThey do look great :thumbs:  :thumbs:
Agree! I really like how tightly they are tucked under the engine. I really dislike a huge air gap between chambers and engine/ frame.

Dvsrd

Quote from: oxford on May 28, 2023, 03:20:54 PM
Quote from: m in sc on May 28, 2023, 03:06:41 PMhell yeah. looks great. where did the cone design come from/get calculated?  the fab looks fantastic. love the hanger bolt method.

Thanks.  They are clones of the Vanguard pipes.  Manifolds and the silencers are mine.

I wonder why the diffuser cone is made from 2 sections? On the pictures both sections appear to have the same angle, and I cannot see any bend either. Just limitations with regards to roller width, or am I missing something here? In any case impressive work!!

oxford

Quote from: Dvsrd on August 11, 2023, 05:22:53 AM
Quote from: oxford on May 28, 2023, 03:20:54 PM
Quote from: m in sc on May 28, 2023, 03:06:41 PMhell yeah. looks great. where did the cone design come from/get calculated?  the fab looks fantastic. love the hanger bolt method.

Thanks.  They are clones of the Vanguard pipes.  Manifolds and the silencers are mine.

I wonder why the diffuser cone is made from 2 sections?................................................... Just limitations with regards to roller width, or am I missing something here?

Pretty much this.  I made that 2 pieces, the original files were 1 piece.  My small roller is only 12" wide.  I have a bigger 30" wide one I probably could have got it done on but I figured welding the joint was easier than messing with the full length cone.

oxford

Anyone on here that does CAD/Solidworks want to work on something together?

I am looking to trade what files I have for these for some touch ups on them.

I am also looking for someone (maybe 2) that wants to do a custom set of pipes. I'll bring the fab and welding.  PM if anyone is interested.