Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Petcock & Filters

Started by Milan, July 12, 2021, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

So the stock petcock has the filter screen on it.
Anyone know the mesh size.
Why then are the line filters needed?

Unless not all RD's had these?

rodneya

Inline filters did not come stock, and IMO are not needed. They can cause a lot of problems. If your tank is clean and hoses not rotten,  then the screen on the petcock should be more than enough

pidjones

I run inline filters, although I doubt their effectiveness.  To be really effective,  they should filter out much finer particles than the available small filters do. And to be able to pass the fuel fast enough with that kind of restriction and only gravity feed, they would have to be huge. Look at the fuel filter for a fuel injected car or truck - you sure couldn't fit that in under an RD tank, and it is fed from a high pressure pump.

Still, I run them. No good reason on the RD (an absolute must on my GL1000 rescues). However, if you do run without them make sure your petcock filter is intact.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

soonerbillz

FYI:
I have used Graco brand paint gun filters to replace in tank screens.
I have replaced copper inlets as well. The Graco filters will fit many vintage petcock tubes snuggly and work well though rusty tanks or heavy debris will clog them. They are open on both ends so you will need to plug whichever end in open on your fitment. But they are cheap and readily available.

m in sc

those brass ones are super restrictive.  I've run both no problem. just depends on the condition of the petcock screen.