This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

I got married!

Started by Striker1423, June 06, 2022, 11:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

Yup.

Was a good day. Small wedding, but turned out awesome and the bar we chose for the reception absolutely knocked our socks off with the food.

On the flip side, we went to look at an awesome house in a nice quiet town not far from where I grew up and left disappointed. They wanted $260,000 for a 1600 square foot home all redone, which in todays market seemed like a great deal, but the interest rate at 6% and taxes around 4k a year meant we'd be shelling out like $1985 a month on an FHA loan.

So, it looks like my fears were correct. Time to start parting with stuff. The trucks first.

msr

Congratulations and best wishes!

pdxjim

Congratulations, and I'm a home inspector, so if you need any help or advice, lemme know  :cheers:
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

sav0r

Congrats on the marriage!

Beg, borrow, steal, but get a traditional loan. Even if you can't make 20% down you are still better off even if you have to pay PMI, which you will if you can't make 20%. At least with the traditional loan, PMI cancels at a certain point, with an FHA loan, PMI is for the life of the loan.

Unfortunately the market is nuts right now. With interest rates on the upswing the market is cooling, so prices aren't as bad as they were, but you pay for it in interest anyways. Good luck out there!
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

pidjones

Congrats, and I hope the marriage is even better than the wedding. I paid 8.5% on a VA loan in the 70s, the house sold in the late 70s when the rates on VA and FHA hovered around 14.5%. Bought land with cash from the sale and built on credit union and family loans,  then a second house on more credit union loans that we paid off in 2000. SMALL apartments in Knoxville are going for $1600 a month. So much better to pay for your own home than make someone else's payment!
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

The Red Scourge

'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

vinyas

85RZwade

I'm happy for ya! Keep talking with her; communication is key.
I post waayyy too much

747drvr

Quote from: pidjones on June 06, 2022, 02:08:28 PM
Congrats, and I hope the marriage is even better than the wedding. I paid 8.5% on a VA loan in the 70s, the house sold in the late 70s when the rates on VA and FHA hovered around 14.5%. Bought land with cash from the sale and built on credit union and family loans, then a second house on more credit union loans that we paid off in 2000. SMALL apartments in Knoxville are going for $1600 a month. So much better to pay for your own home than make someone else's payment!
I have 3 rental houses in Maryville. I'm bombarded by phone calls all day long about availability and if they are for sale. 95% of the callers are from the left coast!! commonly referred to as California. Buyers are offering almost double the value.  :umm: :umm:

Evans Ward

1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Hawaii-Mike

Congratulations, hang onto the motorcycles!

JBeasty

Congratulations!
Be glad you're not looking in California. You'd be looking at triple that or more  :sad:
1977 RD400

dgorms

Congrats! In my neck of the PNW starter homes are over 400K, and they're not much to look at.
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

pdxjim

Quote from: dgorms on June 06, 2022, 07:07:31 PM
Congrats! In my neck of the PNW starter homes are over 400K, and they're not much to look at.

Yup, same down here in Portland. 
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A