Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

wrist pin press

Started by rdsarefun, February 10, 2024, 03:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitzz

Something has to locate/center the piston on the pin.
On these Yamahas, as most two strokes; the rod is located by thrust washers on the crank, and the rod "floats" on the pin.
On a four stroke you can locate the rod with a press fit pin and let the big end "float" on the crank.

No one noticed I wrote y'all a poem....

m in sc

oddly, my old galaxies 390 (fe design from the 50s) had full floating pins when i rebuilt it.  so its all over the place. My old 351W & other small blocks were press fit, as are the ford I-6's.   :huh:

Dvsrd

Quote from: m in sc on February 12, 2024, 08:29:45 AMif i can't just slide it out, i grab the puller. that tool exists for a reason. that's all i'm saying. 
My reply was only meant for motorcycle 2-stroke engines. On my RD 350's cleaning off that tiny burr/ ridge makes a world of difference. If the wristpin is a push/ sliding fit in a new piston, the only difference when removing the pin from a used piston, are these tiny burrs at the edge of the circlip groove.
OTOH, I haven't removed any car/truck/tractor wrist pins in at least 30 years....

1976RD400C

When I worked in a machine shop in the 70's most of the US built car engines had the press in pins. I always thought it was a way of ruling out circlip failure disasters and one less wear spot to cause more slop in the rod to piston fit that could cause noise.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

ive never used that puller on a car engine, just fyi. no reason to since you have the rod off the crank to swap them out.

Im not sure many realize how easy it is to bend a 2-stroke rod to the side, even just a tiny bit.