Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Garage hoist

Started by m in sc, February 15, 2023, 01:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

So, not for big motor pulls or anything, but more often than not, on bikes that don't have a center stand, I've had to get creative. and neck stands dont always cover it.

So, i ordered one of these today to help when i need to support a bike doing forks, etc. I'll doa  cross beam in the rafters, doubt i'll ever lift more than 250 lbs with it.

anybody have one of these (or similar of course) in their garage? I figure the remote will be nice as well. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VEVOR-Electric-Hoist-1320-lbs-Electric-Winch-with-Wireless-Remote-Control-with-Pure-Copper-Motor-DDHLWXYK1320B0001V1/321593787?cm_mmc=ecc-_-THD_ORDER_CONFIRMATION_BOSS_STH-_-V1_M1_CA-_-Product_URL&ecc_ord=WB38368950&em_id=21e35ec8f74c09a9e57b593dd70a5d53036f9631b3d11069d268379d2f8e460b&fbclid=IwAR01sc3sSAquga42_WehQ0TftLgSXre3i-DShY9h5UKpUPPgVurURghze9M

IR8D8R

I've got a chain hoist that has rollers and mounts on a a steel I-beam. I've pulled SBC's and a Ford 390 FE with the heads off with it. The reduction gear required a lot of chain pulling so electric would be very nice.

The rollers were pretty important last time I had it installed, because my garage at the time didn't have space to roll the car back.

I reinforced the floor joists above where the I-beam attached. Obviously you'd want to use a steel bar to hang it and not water pipe. 2" sch 80 might be OK if it was only about 5' and you aren't pulling engines. You definitely want to be able to slide it back and forth.

I want to hang mine in my current garage but it's a detached garage and the ceiling joists aren't very robust.

IR8D8R

m in sc

yeah i wont be pulling car motors with it, for sure. when i pulled the motor out of the galaxie I used a forklift. those fe's are HEAVY. lol. like said, will specifically be used for bikes stuff.

IR8D8R

You aren't kidding about the FE. The one I pulled had a 4V intake on it and that weighs like 80 lbs by itself. Seems like it has half the cylinder head on it. I stripped off everything I could to take weight off.

m in sc

thats about right. I changed my heads and intake to aluminum , and headers, and shaved 110 lbs off the nose of the car. I know, i weighed it. lol

know why they did that? because nascar wouldn't allow them to run aluminum heads, but could run aluminum intakes on them... so they were designed to have as much aluminum in the intake system as possible. such a weird design.

rodneya

I was going to get one similar to that, but ended up with a chain hoist because it was nearly free. Would certainly be nice not to have to have the chain flapping about and just be able to push a button.

Kawtriplefreak

irk_miller

I use an engine hoist most of the time, because that's what I have.

automan

Damn nearly exactly -without remote

Mine is on unistrut channels for traversing

cliff

Mgmark

I have a regular cable come-along bolted to the overhead trusses that I've used to hoist up one end or the other of bikes.
'75 Yamaha RD350
'75 Yamaha TZ750
'19 Triumph T100
'80 Moto Guzzi SP1000

RDryan

Come along's are amazing. My folks and I were trying to clean up this small part of the yard were some metal junk had been covered with compost and over time the compost, mostly leaves just settled. What was left and partially buried was a very ancient day bed frame, half stuck in the ground. It would flex and show barely a sign of movement when we tried to lift and pry it outta the ground but with the come along and a nearby tree we made easy quick work of pulling it out. Just the tool for the job. So I read this thread and it totally reminded me of this experience, LOL :whistle:

m in sc

in the past when i had exposed rafters, i've used ratchet straps and comealongs. In this situation in a residential 2 car garage situation, i figure this will be my best bet. luckily i can get up in the attic and add some support and triangulate it to the rafters as well to spread the load.
the plan is, in my head, a thick cross beam above the beams in the attic across them, then triangulate UP to the rafters bolting it all together, probably with adjustable rod at 45 degree angles (both). then use 2 long eyebolts (with the loops welded closed) through the cross beam, and thru the ceiling drywall, to a second header board on the bottom side that's screwed UP to the ceiling to keep for/aft deflection of the eyebolts to a bare minimum.
then, use a thick 1/2" pipe or channel thru there held in with r clips and loop the top mounts over that. that ways its removeable, allows some free play. I always work on stuff in the same place so i shouldn't have to move it.

In my opinion, the ability to have a remote will be super handy. when i was doing the fork seals on the tzr.. is what really got me thinking about it. raising/lowering the bike for when i put it back together will be super handy for axle alignment, etc. with the back end secured in a wheel chock/stand. 

supposedly will be here wed, I'll update with pics when i get it installed.

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

I'll get it mounted up this weekend, but it showed up. should do what i want it to do. extra bonus, have a doubled 2x10 header crossing right where i want to mount it, so should be perfect.

kpke

Great idea. Any chance you could put up a short video of it in action after it's mounted? Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158