This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

D-Cycle Engine

Started by IR8D8R, February 17, 2023, 03:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IR8D8R

Another weird engine design.

If 4T is blasphemy then surely this is heresy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n549K-Zz78I

I had to watch a couple times to get how it works.

IR8D8R

RDryan

Definitely weird. What I came away with watching the video is it combines the best of two stroke design making power on every stroke with the best of a four stroke being more efficient at burning fuel. However it's a lot more complicated/costly to manufacture with more parts also heavier and it's suggested that there could be a greater tendency for the valves and pistons to have a meet up. Would love to see one produced almost exactly as the single cylinder concept in that video just for a motorcycle. Actually I would also like to see a production of all three engines just to make a valid set of comparing and contrasting. Would surely be wicked expensive, time consuming and exhausting for little gains to prove out the concept but still just interesting to see it fully tried and proven good or bad.

sav0r

My buddy was an engineer on a similar but different concept. I can't recall the name, but they had funding from Ford for a while. The eventual conclusion was that it just had too much mass. They could get good power out of it, but since so many parts were moving it only worked well in a narrow range of power. They eventually lost funding and my friend went to Ford proper.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.