Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Are DG Expansion Chambers THAT Bad?

Started by cdbiker220, January 28, 2021, 04:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

overall performance and real world readability aren't poo.  No one was giving dyno numbers, but my reference to the DGs '13hp' were from an old ad thats misleading.

But, I have run multiple versions of all the pipes mentioned except for the ktec, and the millenniums were the motocarerra ones on various setups. Just giving feedback.

sav0r

To be fair, I never said you were wrong, I said butt dyno's are unreliable. The point is that picking and choosing pipes based on port configurations, intakes, etc., and then making claims about what works and what doesn't isn't really supported by data when using a butt dyno. That is a problem.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

yeah, but no ones talking dyno numbers either really. it was a more 'what works' and the assumption was stock-ish porting (basically clean up) road going bike that's enjoyable to ride. Judging by the mods, the dg would do fine, but for close tot he same $ , there are better quality examples.  and again, theres all the other things to consider. aesthetics, fitment, etc which have zero to do with performance.

reality is, ride enough of these bikes with different pipes and you can feel what works and what doesn't on a 'typical' setup like this.  its very easy to go down the road of dyno numbers, lap times, port matching to pipes (which only works by trial and error after the initial design is hammered out by the numbers) etc.

I'm not being argumentative, you are 100% correct. but this isn't going to be a HP monster either, which leaves some leeway depending on the other factors aside from just 'which makes the most power'.

I rode chucks RD400 with those crazy beautiful chambers he has a few years ago, big money turner pipes i think, a few years ago. I  actually preferred it with the specII's, as i think he did, for street riding.  And thats what went back on last time i saw him.  and ya KNOW the turner pipes were designed right.  ;) 

cdbiker220

Thanks for all the info. It seems obvious it is not worth spending $500 on DG's. I would probably still pick them up if I could find some under $300 and upgrade later if needed. But I am likely going to go with Spec II Classics since good street performance is important and I don't want to give up horsepower if I'm spending over $500.

rodneya

Chrome DG's

Czakky

SNice

I have a pair of chrome DG's!  Been looking for info/pictures on them for years. The picture above is the only one I've ever seen.  Found them on eBay a few years ago while hoarding parts!  I figured they would be more for show than performance. I also have a pair of beat up spec II's that I would like to "restore".  Looking forward to the comparison (once I finally get the bikes back together).