Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Oil Injection vs Pre Mix rd350?

Started by Fullmetal1203, July 09, 2019, 02:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullmetal1203

What are the pros and cons of injection vs putting in a block off and running pre-mix? New here! Bought my first rd350!

Striker1423

A pro is the oil pumps are basically  bullet proof and cause you not to have to carry around baby bottles of oil when you ride around.

Not too many cons as long as the pump is working.

m in sc

if the pumps working, and 99% of them are, run it.

to 'put in a blockoff plate' you have to pull the clutch cover, etc. the drive shaft is removed from the back side.  :twocents:

I run 2 rds with premix. 1 has a waterpump there now, the other is my lightweight project and ai ran a different crank that wont allow me to run one (thats a looong story).. def NOT practical reasons. however, on my r5, i run it, and its fine. ran the original pump on my old rz as well.

Organicjedi

Pros of no oil pump/ oil tank would be some weight savings and there's less to fuss with when it comes to tuning and maintenance.

Pros of pump would include better metering of oil as the pump works off of throttle position- in addition to what others wrote above.

Premix works best for track riding if you want to be the lightest you can be. The pump is great for street riding and works good on the track too. IMHO.

kar1zma

Can u guys suggest where we can find an aftermarket
More modern oil pump. I will purchase that unit for my project

In India almost everyone does premixes
But the pros for a well functioning oil pump definitely make it worth it

m in sc

the original ones are fine, theres no 'modern replacement'.

youd think with everyone running premix they would be littering the street with unused pumps.   :whistle:

Jspooner

I am a big fan of the pump. Even if you can't find a good working one there are plenty of them out there that can be rebuilt.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

pdxjim

If you need a pump rebuilt, send it to "arrow" in the UK.

He is the undisputed master of all throngs RD/RZ oil pump related.

You can find him on Norbo's forum and the other RD/RZ forum.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

quocle603

USE THE PUMP!

I bought the bike running off pre-mix. I just left it like that, when I was getting gas at the station. I decided to get 2 gallons which is about 8 fl oz of oil. I thought I had a bottle that was that much and poured the entire thing in, but it was 16 fl oz. I had to ride and around without stopping until I ran out of gas at high rpms (for a strong spark). I decided to put the pump back and never worry again.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Jspooner

Quote from: quocle603 on July 09, 2019, 06:41:05 PM
USE THE PUMP!

I bought the bike running off pre-mix. I just left it like that, when I was getting gas at the station. I decided to get 2 gallons which is about 8 fl oz of oil. I thought I had a bottle that was that much and poured the entire thing in, but it was 16 fl oz. I had to ride and around without stopping until I ran out of gas at high rpms (for a strong spark). I decided to put the pump back and never worry again.

Not sure how you mistake 16oz for 8oz.   :whoop:

"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

quocle603

Quote from: Jspooner on July 09, 2019, 07:23:22 PM

Wasn't really thinking...I just had it in an old 2t bottles that I carry around.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

SUPERTUNE

Oil pumps are sweet! I like them more than in years past now that I have a handle on setting them up.  :celebrate:
The pain is... it can be a lot of work until you get perfect, especially if setting up TM34's. Much longer pull means I have to make custom cables and use aftermarket splitter. :umm:

Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

paul1478

Quote from: Jspooner on July 09, 2019, 07:23:22 PM
Quote from: quocle603 on July 09, 2019, 06:41:05 PM
USE THE PUMP!

That bud light can is exactly what I use to put my oil in. I sanded all the paint off (or most of it) and put it in my tank bag. Works perfect!
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale