Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

New Four-Stroke Dirt Bikes

Started by 85RZwade, October 25, 2023, 03:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

I find it interesting that with as much development of electric bikes as we've seen recently, both Triumph and now Ducati are releasing dirt bikes with internal combustion engines. Seems they see money to be made in the market segment; what do you folks make of it?
I post waayyy too much

The Red Scourge

There will always be a large portion of riders that want combustion engines, myself included.  Electric bikes are interesting, but I doubt I'll ever buy one.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

pdxjim

4T dirt bikes are dumb

Electric is the future.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

:umm: do Triumph and Ducati see something more than an opportunity to make a buck before time runs out? I can remember thinking, around 1990, that our 2-strokes would be gone. Here we are, and they're still here in many forms (look at the snowmobile industry). Do the OEMs see bikes with ICEs as more than a niche market down the road?
I post waayyy too much

svgarage

Quote from: pdxjim on October 29, 2023, 02:10:58 AM4T dirt bikes are dumb

Electric is the future.
Depends on what you want to do. If you're doing long days on the backroads, you might be hard pressed to find a charger in the wilderness.
A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint ExupĂ©ry

pdxjim

Quote from: pdxjim on October 29, 2023, 02:10:58 AM4T dirt bikes are dumb

Electric is the future.

Haha 2:10am

What I meant to say is: 4T dirt bikes are great, but I prefer 2Ts for most of the riding I do. I would like euro 4T 500 for a DS Lite. Packing 3L of premix on a long DS camping trip is a drag.

And: Electric bikes and vehicles in general are definitely the future, and I'll gladly get an electric dirt bike when they can run on removable battery packs like modern cordless tools.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A