Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD350 forever project

Started by Perattzi, May 07, 2024, 03:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perattzi

Glad to have forum back in all its glory! I built this bike about a 14 years ago with the help of everyone here. Sadly it more or less sat for the past decade, just firing it up here and there. My partners company needed a display bike for their booth at a bike show, so I decided it would be wrong to display a non working bike. Been tackling all the things I had half finished. Being older and more patient definitely helps lol! Here is how she sits presently:

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

Perattzi

back story.. before it was parked had about 2k miles on a fresh crank, top end, recut squish and o-ring heads. Dave F mods to carbs, dyna ignition. Recent-ish work has been: modified DG pipes.Kept having charging issues so I decided to just rewire the bike and order a new Rec/reg. New hand switches and quick turn throttle. New Hagons for rear. FFP rearsets (took some time to get setup properly!) Curved kickstarter(not in pic). Adapted a Brembo front brake similar to a Monster 620. Still quite a few things to tackle and will need your valued opinions getting this puppy dialed. 🙏
Few more pics!

350GUY

Bike looks TOPS.
Did you fabricate the front brake caliper adapter?

SoCal250

Great looking bike! Well done sir! :thumbs:
Love the harness work and other details (front brake, pipes, etc.).
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Perattzi

Thanks for the compliments! I just cut the caliper bracket on a band saw and used a, drill press, belt sander and file. That said I want to make a nicer one. Currently it is 3/8" aluminum plate, but may redo it with 1/2". I made the rotor spacer years ago in a machining class. Wish I had access to a mill to now to finesse the bracket. Floating caliper noises take some getting used to! Only issue I'm having with the brake is the bleeder valve is weeping ever so slightly. Hoping it's just corrosion at the sealing seat and a new one will solve it. Other issue with  a real brake is that it has exposed how bad my forks are! My to do list is:
-brake bleeder
-fork springs/oil/possibly emulators
-polish front hub and lace an rim to match rear, the chromed steel just looks off
-new tires, sadly the Avons are old enough to be in high school 😆
-sort turn signals. They light up but do not flash, despite wiring in a claimed LED relay
-sort out leaking carbs and once that's solved dial in jetting better
-redo seat foam under the upholstery. The person I hired do it used way too soft of foam.
-replace leaking clutch rod seal
-look into hydraulic clutch conversion
-possibly fit a Bultaco Metralla style bikini fairing, with some sort of LED lighting. I'm kinda tired of the round headlight look.

Gonna need some guidance with this stuff!  :thumbs: