Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Re-torquing after cylinder rebuild

Started by AtLarge, June 09, 2019, 11:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLarge

When checking the head bolts with a torque wrench should you loosen them first and then tighten to spec or just check them to make sure they are still at proper torque?   :umm:
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1994 BMW K1100RS
2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

retaRD

DO NOT LOOSEN.

Check at peak torque in a cross pattern, until stabilized.

AtLarge

Ok good.  I just finished the 2nd heat cycle.  Retested and they barely budged.
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1994 BMW K1100RS
2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

retaRD

Quote from: AtLarge on June 09, 2019, 11:28:49 PM
Ok good.  I just finished the 2nd heat cycle.  Retested and they barely budged.

Remember to wait until the engine is fully cooled.  :thumbs:

Czakky

I've always cracked em all and then re-torqued. That's how I was taught on 4t anyway...
next time I'll do as retaRD says.

How important are the special washers on the head bolts for these air cooled Yamahas?

Striker1423

Quote from: Czakky on June 10, 2019, 07:03:13 PM
I've always cracked em all and then re-torqued. That's how I was taught on 4t anyway...

How important are the special washers on the head bolts for these air cooled Yamahas?

They help distribute the torque evenly. But a lot of people use the bolts alone and don't have any issues fwiw.

Jspooner

I've never heard of "cracking them loose" before re-torquing them on anything. The point of re-torquing is to make sure nothing came loose or that everything is still as tight as it should be.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

SoCal250

Quote from: Jspooner on June 10, 2019, 10:46:31 PM

I've never heard of "cracking them loose" before re-torquing them on anything. The point of re-torquing is to make sure nothing came loose or that everything is still as tight as it should be.

I've never heard of that either. (And that goes for 4T V8 engines too).  "Cracking them loose" is just going back to square one and starting all over. It doesn't even make sense (logically).

Follow retaRD's advice, he's spot on in his 2 posts above  :thumbs:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

~JM~

In the V-8 world, many believe that you loosen, then re-torque one bolt/stud at a time while following the recommended tightening pattern. This is done after one or more heating cycles while the engine is cold.

Here's another question. Do you clean & re-apply the ARP type of molly lube prior to re-torque? I'm thinking probably.

SoCal250

Off-topic, but as I recall ARP stated NOT to use anything on threads because it would interfere with torque values. Also they did not instruct to loosen before retorque.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Old Brit

I've never heard of that either. (And that goes for 4T V8 engines too).  "Cracking them loose" is just going back to square one and starting all over. It doesn't even make sense (logically).
[/quote]
Exactly  :clap:

murphywv

I have seen the torque loosen retorque procedure and used it as per manufacturer recommendations (Caterpillar). This was used on torque to yield head bolts that were replaced when the head gasket was replaced. torque up in 3 stages, loosened in sequence and retorqued. It was a pain in the ass but if you didn't do it the gasket would fail.
Some big Cat engines you measured stud stretch with a dial indicator.

Lube (moly, oil, anti-seize) will impact the torque. I think the best thing is to do what works, either by your own experience or the experience of others.

On a small engine a good, even and progressive torque to spec is as good as anything in my experience.
1974 RD350 not stock
KTM 300 XC-W
Beta 500R-SS
And a big ol' chopper

~JM~

Quote from: SoCal250 on June 11, 2019, 12:31:47 AM
Off-topic, but as I recall ARP stated NOT to use anything on threads because it would interfere with torque values. Also they did not instruct to loosen before retorque.

https://arpinstructions.com/generaltorque.html

https://arp-bolts.com/p/technical.php

https://arp-bolts.com/p/FAQ.php

I've also read/heard somewhere that new fasteners should be torqued to value, loosened & then re-torqued several times to burnish the threads for a more accurate clamping force. I cannot locate that information at this time.

m in sc

when i was still working for CP/Desoutter, we had nut runner application in factories that would require tightening, loosening, then tightening with torque /angle to set the bolt stretch. this was on initial assembly in lots of different applications. this was on items like rod bolts for GE locomotive (power-train applications) and, Daimler, Hyundai,etc. the values were always set with fasteners oiled so it wouldn't gall. that being said, 40+ year old cylinder studs are pretty much already stretched as it is.  a double check of torque, as mentioned, after heat cycled a few times, and cooled down, is the best method for rds. my .02 I try to set mine to 18-20 on head bolts.

SUPERTUNE

OK, Here goes my opinion since a lot of comments are in my WHEEL HOUSE!
As some of you know I work in a automotive race engine machine shop now for the last 4 years and I have owned my racing automotive race engine machine shop my whole life with my dad until I burned out and closed the shop, sold off the shop automotive specific equipment in '98 and went 2 stroke jetski and motorcycles only.
The first post didn't even state what engine he has.
IMO, on a normal 2 stroke conventional setup I oil the threads upon assembly, never re-loosen, just check torque after a few heat cycles and again after I get a 100 miles or so.
In the automotive racing engines I build every day using ARP products with almost every race engine I build... I never need to retorque when using the ARP lube and torque spec's.

Chuck, at almost 60 years old doing engine building my whole life this is my take!
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com