Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Chrome Is Expensive

Started by Striker1423, January 25, 2021, 11:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

Called a local shop to get the frame powder coated. Was told $250.  Hell yeah, not a bad price. So I'll check that off the list and drop it off with my tax return.

Called a local chrome shop for the fenders.

$350 to $400 a piece... OK goodbye.

Holy  :eek:

So now what? Lol

Inov8

Have you looked into a chrome powder coat along the lines of Eastwood's Hotcoat? No, it definitely isn't the same as chrome but it's a reasonable alternative in a lot of cases.  :twocents:
I'll just shut up now and go back my Crayons and coloring book

Barrie

See if you can find some replacements in stainless  ,headlight rims buy repro replacements.
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

AAAltered

I got *Both* done for $400, and that's NJ pricing ( cayesh only lol). Shop around...

Then for another $450 I got more stuff done....

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

oxford

Quote from: AAAltered on January 25, 2021, 03:34:31 PM
I got *Both* done for $400, and that's NJ pricing ( cayesh only lol). Shop around...

What shop in Jersey are you using?

Striker1423

Chrome powder coat? Hmm.

As far as repro fenders in stainless. I have had zero luck finding anything.

AAAltered

I used this guy....  his shop is wayyyyy less fancy than his site -it looks like they have been plating in there for 75 years...

Asbury Park NJ.

Also, +1 on stainless, I replaced a ton of hardware with stainless but chromed all the oddball stuff.  He starts at $3 a bolt or nut IIRC for small stuff with a $75 setup/minimum.  The chrome on bolt heads isn't super durable but the other stuff seems great so far.  Also be aware he makes up the price of the odd parts as he goes.  I wasn't price shocked though, which is why I went back for more.

http://superchromenj.com/

At this point I see some small stuff I would still like to do, like the oil banjos, etc etc etc.

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

Striker1423

Well I'll call around, there's one or two more shops relatively close. Would hate to ship parts to nj, but if these rat bastids are too much in the motor city I'll ups it.

zedixe13

For small parts you can home plate with nickel , it's the same process as Zinc plating

zedixe13

Quote from: Striker1423 on January 25, 2021, 11:57:49 AM
Called a local shop to get the frame powder coated. Was told $250.  Hell yeah, not a bad price. So I'll check that off the list and drop it off with my tax return.

I just bought a new RD400 front fender from the dealer for much less , $120 USD

forexer

what dealer is that because $120 is a smoking deal - please share

I'd also recommend shopping around because last fall my front fender was $200 to get re-chromed and that included shipping

Old Brit

Quote from: zedixe13 on January 25, 2021, 11:15:43 PM
Quote from: Striker1423 on January 25, 2021, 11:57:49 AM

I just bought a new RD400 front fender from the dealer for much less , $120 USD
At that price chances are it's gonna be a pattern part, OEM would be closer to $300

Striker1423

Anyone had any luck finding NOS or Repop 1973 - 1975 RD 250/350 front fenders? I think Stainless is just fine. Would match my pipes well.

Google has yielded me nothing. One result on eBay from the Philippines for 550 that has questionable reviews.