Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Lucky me!

Started by soonerbillz, June 23, 2023, 04:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

Went to Harbor Freight today to get a couple of gallons of Evaporust.  Cost me $60. I needed more as my stash disappeared in my shop fire.
The hard tools in my destroyed tool boxes of course were salvageable but now are rusty from sitting in foam and water.
Thus a 5 gallon bucket and the Evaporust are needed.
But to my surprise at check out I was told that today is HF's free tool day. Spend over 50 bucks and get a free tool.
I got a right angle grinder.
Which replaces the crappy HF grinder I've had and used for 10 years. It disappeared in the fire also.
I hope it's as tough as the old one. That cheap thing sure surprised me at how long it has lasted.

SoCal250

That's a pretty nice bonus! :thumbs: congrats
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

The Red Scourge

Good luck with the angle grinder.  I bought one about 3 years ago for $10 after the coupon.  The thing got so hot after running it a few minutes straight that you couldn't hold it, even with gloves.  The last time I used it, it started smoking.  I went out and bought a Mikita that was on sale for $50 and haven't looked back.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

LMS

I have one of those grinders, and I have put that thing through the ropes.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

The Red Scourge

So a few weeks ago I dusted off my old HF angle grinder.  It was a 4.3 amp Drill Master.  I figured at least I could run it into the ground and have to change cutting wheels and flap discs less frequently.  Within about 5 seconds of running, the motor started smoking and then totally seized up.  I brought it back to the store to try my hand with the very liberal replacement policy.  I bought it probably 3-4 years ago and didn't buy an extended warranty.  After some grumbling and telling me he wasn't supposed to exchange it, the cashier let me swap it out for a 5 amp Warrior grinder if I bought the extended warranty for $6.  So far the newer one is great and way lighter than my Makita, which it huge for me as I use them one handed most of the time.  No motor heating up so far, although the head does get pretty hot.  I'm planning on changing the grease out and hope that helps.  I'll certainly be keeping an eye out because I'd buy another one on sale so I can have dedicated cut off wheel, grinding disc, and flap disc grinders.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

85RZwade

Say what you will about HF, but they've always treated me well.
I post waayyy too much

STLMike

Quote from: 85RZwade on September 06, 2023, 03:48:58 PMSay what you will about HF, but they've always treated me well.

I have a lot of HF stuff. Some good, some bad. I've had their little ultrasonic cleaner for 10 years and it just crapped out on me. Yesterday I bought a new one to soak some parts in and it worked for 3 minutes and won't turn back on. It's hit or miss. I also purchased the benchtop media blaster and it's fantastic.

The Red Scourge

Quote from: STLMike on September 08, 2023, 10:44:07 PM
Quote from: 85RZwade on September 06, 2023, 03:48:58 PMSay what you will about HF, but they've always treated me well.

I have a lot of HF stuff. Some good, some bad. I've had their little ultrasonic cleaner for 10 years and it just crapped out on me. Yesterday I bought a new one to soak some parts in and it worked for 3 minutes and won't turn back on. It's hit or miss. I also purchased the benchtop media blaster and it's fantastic.

For sure.  Once you get an idea of what to buy and what not to, it's great.  I've had mostly great experiences with HF stuff.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR