Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Duplicolor Paint Shop Paints

Started by The Red Scourge, May 02, 2023, 06:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Scourge

Anyone here have any experience with Duplicolor's Paint Shop line of paints?  I'm gearing up to paint the CBR400 and I have a HVLP setup I'd like to use.  Proper 2 stage automotive paint costs are pretty high.  I have yet to see anything I could afford at the moment, even for a set of fairings.  Paint Shop is premixed lacquer paint.  I read on some forum post that it isn't great when it comes to fuel resistance.  It's pretty cost effective though.  I'm thinking of using it for primer and base coat and getting some decent 2k clear. 

I'm new to spray painting like this and all the options can be overwhelming.  If anyone has any advice I'd love it.  Also if anyone knows of a decent 2 part line of paints that isn't crazy expensive.  I've been recommended Lesonal and Wanda Paints for that purpose, but they're both expensive enough that I can't justify the expense right now.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

LMS

Try rattle cans. 66 auto color will mix pretty much any color paint you want in a can. You can get two stage (1k base and 2k clear) or 2k 1 stage paint. These cans have great nozzles as well. The 2k clear has a shelf life of about 24 hours. Do a search for spraymax 2k paint jobs on utube and you will find some amazing paint jobs done on motorcycles and cars.
The spraymax clear is pretty amazing and will spray over pretty much any duplicolor paint you find in a auto part store. That would be a cheaper route then getting the 1k base at 66.
The cheapest route that will look great, 66 autocolors 1 stage 2k paint.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

pidjones

I've used Duplicolor Paintshop for over ten years on five bikes with good success. Any flaws have been my own low inattention. After cleaning, prep, etc. I prime with Duplicolor (or Rustoleum) etching primer in rattle cans from Amazon or OReilley (olive drab in color) and let settle for several days. Then the color (BTW, you can blend their colors - I blended gold and black to give a interesting difference) using a cheap Harbor Freight gun and DRY AIR. This paint flashes off fast, but give it double the listed time if doing many coats to allow solvents to escape. The color can be wet sanded after a week or so, but NOT METALLICS. After a good two week cure in a warm area (mine go up to my second floor den to cure) I clear coat with Spraymax 2K Glamour Clear, a 2K with in-can activator punctured durring the shaking process. I get it through Amazon, but there are other sources. One can (~$25) is enough for a Yamaha RD400. The 2K wet sands out beautifully after 48 hours, and oftem makes up for errors in the color. Some frames I just prep, prime, and rattle-can with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy (which is acually 1K, but very tough). Make sure 2K completely seals all edges, and it will protect well against gasoline spills (but not brake fluid - it eats most everything).
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

LMS

Spraymax clear is the key. If you do a halfway decent job with the base coat, spray max will, for the most part, make it look amazing.
Like stated above, rustoleum epoxy is also frickn great, but you have to give a few days to cure from what I have found. At times I find that it's just a tad tacky after a few days, but it will dry, and it dries pretty frickn tough.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

The Red Scourge

Thanks y'all.  I was hoping to at least spray the clear with my HVLP setup.  I think with my current budget that will cost prohibitive.  I'm kinda of wary of the Paint Shop clear.  For this one I'll likely be doing it all rattle can and then the 2k clear in a can.  Duplicolor has a match for Honda red in a can, which is nice.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

kramdua

i have had good jobs with the dupli-color. The problem is the paint or clear coat takes such a long time to dry completely. i am talking months. this is just my experience because i found you cannot get fuel on your fuel tank without it leaving a stain into the paint.
we have federated auto parts store in my area that can match any paint code you would have and put it in an aerosol can.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

SoCal250

Good info! :thumbs: I have a few future projects (both motorcycle & vehicle) that this advice will be useful for.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

pidjones

Paint Shop Pro line are all lacquers. They won't be fuel-proof no matter how long they cure. They must be 2K cleared, then they are fine.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

m in sc

yeaht he 2 k is the shit. ive done 3 bikes with it, including just clearing over DA sanded bare metal on the lightweight, and its def fuel proof. I did my 72 S2 way back w it over anodizing blue spray paint and it did a fantastic job as well. it self levels really, really well too.