Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Vapor Blaster

Started by Halmic, June 24, 2019, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halmic

I just ordered a Vapor Honing Technologies vapor blaster.  Is anyone else here using one of these?  It should be great for carbs, fork lowers, engine cases, side covers, his, etc.  The only drawback is a 3-4 week wait for the build time!

Joshua

I've got one, easy to use. Still figuring out what media to use for what. If you take your time you can make things look new, or maybe better than new, but it still takes elbow grease if you want perfection. Carbs and the like are fairly quick. Side covers and the like in my opinion need sanding before going in the machine, but I'm particular.

I'll have my case done later this week and post some pics.

Joshua

Just got my back rim finished up today. Should have brought it out in the sun for pictures. Super silky and shiny. Was hoping for better casting, but I'll take what I can get.  I didn't want to take material off the rims, there is no place to stop if your after perfection here. So it is what it is for the rims. Can't wait to get my roller together.

Halmic

What media are you currently using?

pdxjim

On tough stuff, my guys often dry blast first then wet blast for detail and finish.

Makes me nervous as dry blast wants to take off more material than I'm comfortable with.

Not sure for sure, but I picked up a few cases for Garrett a week or so ago and it looks like they blasted off the hand engraved case matching numbers on the RZ uppers they dry blasted.

I was non-stoked on that so be careful.  :twocents:

IYDMMA ... how much are the VHT systems in a useable size?  I can't find the price list anywhere (and it's likely a case of "if you have to ask...")

I think my guys here in PDX said their setup from the UK was $12k or $15k or something.  :eek: :eek: :eek:
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

teazer

Glass beads also peen the surface when used dry.  Sand will cut the surfaces and leave them open.  Fresh glass beads should not remove any surface material.  Not as clean and shiny as vapor blast though.

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: teazer on June 25, 2019, 11:51:06 PM
Glass beads also peen the surface when used dry.  Sand will cut the surfaces and leave them open.  Fresh glass beads should not remove any surface material.  Not as clean and shiny as vapor blast though.

If new beads when just glass beading, I turn down the regulator to 40 PSI not to break them all up.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Joshua

I've found with many aluminum parts you need to take off some material to clean up the part.  There is no way just fine glass bead will get stains and the like out with a vapor blaster.  It's more a 2 step process.  Clean up the part (you can do this in the vapor blaster as well), then fine blast in the machine.  The cool thing is you can avoid sensitive areas that the vapor blaster will cover and blend right in.  My worst enemy is my perfection when I don't know when to stop and say it's good.

50gary

For used parts wheels, cases, fork lowers, and the like I hand file and die grind bad dings, dents and the dreaded casting marks.  Then dry blast with alu. oxide 150 mesh, then vapor blast (hone) beautiful.  On mag type wheels I always remove the foundry shift markings and everything else except the size and rotation symbol.
  Cheers, 50gary

triple1972

Hi I have no idea of the cost but I have had very good luck with soda blasting. We happen to have one at the machine shop I work at. I have done a bunch of engine cases and some fork legs. It takes paint and clear coats off great. It mixes the soda with water but I can adjust the amount of water when I need to be more aggressive. The soda leaves a residue if not rinsed but acts as a rust inhibitor if you are not going to finish project soon.

SUPERTUNE

I finished Joshua's RD400 STG1 Daytona engine and it's a beauty!

His parts after he Vapor Blasted them in his new Vapor Honing unit.

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

suey1958

She's A BEAUTY for sure  :celebrate: Great work Joshua and Chuck !

Joshua

Yeah, I'm a slow mover, but this is the final mock up before the frame gets squirted. Wanted to iron out all the tabs. Can't thank Chuck enough for all his hard work. Super great guy to work with. More to come, hope to be riding this coming year. She is coming together for sure!

suey1958

What brand of expansion chambers are those?    Everything Looks Great!