Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Another crazy thought.

Started by Daytona1, October 16, 2023, 04:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona1

Is it possible to make a 400 hybrid? I have a spare Daytona bottom end. It needs new crank and has no cylinders. Thinking Lc crank and cylinders. Will it all bolt up? If so maybe epoxy the crankcase to match lc's volume. Thanks jimmy.

m in sc

I MEAN...  the stroke is the issue. i suppose you could use jack plates and hope for the best with porting & play with different rods and piston heights. I cant say as ive ever really heard of it being done, but im -sure- its been tried. I know fahron in the uk used to do lc conversions on stuff but not sure if they did 400 based ones, but i know they did long rod stroker ones. (thats all ive heard)

MY suggestion is to get a 350 or 250 set of cases, and a 350 crank and then bolt that into a 400 frame w the liquid cooled cyls. it will bolt in.  you'll have to mod the rear mount but thats about it. also, you can use the 400 trans in the 250/350 cases.   

I can say this much, its going to get complicated, quick w 400 crank and 350 cyls, and them modding the 350 lc cyls to work w a 400 crank stroke.
 Id love to see you try it though & succeed  :twocents:

Daytona1

Hey mark thanks for your reply. I'm questioning putting a lc crank in 400 cases and then putting a lc top end on it. I believe the 400's crankcase has a larger volume so the thought was to epoxy the case to match the lc's. Thanks jimmy

m in sc

im not 100% sure but verify the cl of the crank to the deck of the 400 cases is the same, im 90% sure it is?  just use an aircooled 350 crank. the lc crank is longer on the RH side to drive the waterpump and unless oyu graft on an lc engine cover and mod the cases to take the water line, theres no upside to it. I know it will fit otherwise, because i have an lc crank in my lightweight 350 aircooled cases, but i doghoused the RH engine cover to deal w the longer crank.

just to see if i could do it. there was no upside. lol.

Daytona1

Thanks again for the reply mark. So it seems it would be easier with an ac crank. Thinking this would be the way to go with the spare bottom end if it would work.i believe the flywheels are 10 mm smaller on the 350 cranks hence the smaller crankcase volume on the 350's. Not sure if the larger volume would cause much problems if so just epoxy the case to match smaller volume of the 350's. Seems like this setup with stock lc porting would yield about 10 more hp than the Daytona stuff. Thanks jimmy

m in sc

could also always de-stroke the 400 crank. ? im not sure what the best course of action here would be, this is def more the lyn garland/ed ehrlenback area of stuff. 

Daytona1

Thanks mark. Now as I think about this I wonder if the lc top end would bolt up. I think the distance between the center of cylinder 1 to cylinder 2 would have to be the same between 350 and 400 because of the one piece head. Gonna try to find that info and keep thinking. Hopefully some others will chime in.  Thanks jimmy

m in sc