News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)

Started by pidjones, August 26, 2020, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidjones

Getting there. This is just with the tank and side cover mounted, not plumbed in. Need to move some bikes around and get room around it  to work.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Kawtriplefreak

The tins look great.  :patriot: :patriot:
I wish I had the talent and patience.

pidjones

Quote from: Kawtriplefreak on March 25, 2021, 03:19:44 PM
The tins look great.  :patriot: :patriot:
I wish I had the talent and patience.
Three meter paint job I'm afraid. Looks Ok until you get closer than three meters.
Oil tank mounted now (that was a wrestling match). All hooked up save the oil feed to the pump and the fuel feeds to the carbs. Both need clamps that I will try to source locally tomorrow.
Question: do most people run fuel filters? I know that on GoldWings we must as they have so many tiny fuel passages in the four carbs. Thinking about adding one in each fuel line.

Aloha808

I run fuel filters on both my RD's.  Doesn't seem to restrict fuel flow.

rodneya

paint looks pretty good.

I have had issues with fuel filters in the past, so I just make sure there is a screen on the petcock now

SoCal250

I run Visu-filters and change them out every year or two because the crappy CA pump gas tends to degrade them. They're cheap and because they're transparent it's easy to assess condition.

The new paint job is looking sweet!  :clap:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

RustyRD

:clap: :clap: I run the visu filters on both carbs also. Looks great.

pidjones

You may note the front wheel has paint in places and not in others. I am slowly but surely removing the paint that some PO put on them (poorly). Acetone, Scotchbrite, wire brushes, LOTS of elbow grease and time! Once I get it off the front, the rear will wait until it is removed for some other reason.

TNWillie

I run clear fuel filters on my RD. Cheap, easy and effective. ;)

Inov8

Great looking bike; regardless of paint finish. This has always been my favorite color scheme of all of the 400s. Besides, I appreciate the irony of a 2T being presented as Green.  :devil:
I'll just shut up now and go back my Crayons and coloring book

pidjones

She lives! (Thanks in part to the folks here on the forum.) Only took her for about 1.5 mile spin around the neighborhood, but she ran and shifted great. Front bakes are great Rear brakes need work (worn MC). Very happy to hear and smell the old 2-stroker again! BTW, I ended up putting a filter on each line.
https://youtu.be/VWDm1ksGC7A

Kawtriplefreak

TNWillie

Definitely congratulations!
Having started my cafe for the 1st time in over 40 yrs, I know how great you feel.

Evans Ward

1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

pidjones

SHAZBOT! Went into the garage this morning after coming home from getting our COVID 2nd vaccines. Smelled gas. Localized it to the bottom of the right side of the tank, inboard of the seam. The tank is now off and drained and a POR-15 repair kit is on order.