Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

HPI Install RD

Started by SUPERTUNE, October 28, 2019, 08:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUPERTUNE

The HVC kickstand kit came and modified it all up, heating and bending and heating more and finally got it to my liking then welded a toe stub on it. They're really no fun to do... as it takes about 2 hours to do and all of them are different due to pipes and frame height.

Now a cold front came through today so I'll try again to ride in the next couple of days.

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

paul1478

Nice work Chuck. I need to do that to my kickstand. it drags on hard left turns.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Czakky

This is going to help me with my side stand.
Thanks

m in sc

somebody needs to make a tubular replacement with a different bend for these. i did mine, wasn't that hard.  :twocents:

paul1478

I have seen yours. It is perfect. And yes I agree and would buy one today if I could find one.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

SUPERTUNE

Going to come back and add in the final take on how it all turned out...stay tuned.
(Look at what I went through with the JL pipe mod post.)
Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

turtle

I will let Chuck update his thread, but I wanted to say the experience was awesome. Went and picked up the bike today, Took at 30 min ride with Chuck and the bike is performing flawlessly. I've now had this bike for 5 yrs and for the first time I didn't have to worry about it breaking down while riding.  To further add it's a complete beast and handles just a well. hats off to Chuck!!!! thanks again...  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Evans Ward

Another satisfied customer. Enjoy!  :whoop:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

SUPERTUNE

OK, I need to polish off this 'How To'.

After a hard U.S. 19 run all the way to bike night about 7 miles, I was just a bit concerned at plug color at highway speeds cruising at I'm guessing 70-75 mph with the tach pinned 6200-6300 (short gearing from before the build 14/40) Mike will go to a 520 conversion soon to a 14/39
I didn't like the 40 pilots either from earlier change, so changed the needle jet up to a 169-P2 from a P0 and put the 35 pilots back in.

So more riding still needed...

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

SUPERTUNE

Took it out next time to the Local Yamaha shop I deal with and had most of the store out looking at it and listening to the healthy TSR engine build.

Jetting seemed a little better so I went up again on the pilot to 37.5 @1 1/2 turns out on the air screws and needle jet up to a 169-P4.
Another ride across town  :vroom: to my buddy's shop to see and hear his new blown BBC 522ci pro street car...

Big power and little power in the same pic....about a 1000 HP difference!!  :eek:

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

SUPERTUNE

Man it liked all that fuel from the last change  but a little muddy in the lower midrange... so lets go at the carbs again...
Pulled the needle jets and machined down the 169-P4 shroud from the stock 8.21mm height to 6.00mm so a minus of 2.21mm to help this area of richness and took out the 2.0 air jet also to help overall stronger fuel curve up top right before the main jet
His old carbs were all crappy high tops so went with new std VM28's.

OK, let me explain why so much jetting work is needed on this little rascal...
When Mike first started trying to get this RD running right 18 months ago he sent me the topend to do a stg 1 setup on it.
(stg 1 porting, mill the cylinders for the 400 headgasket conversion, remachine the heads completely with a better chamber design and compression ratio, and re-condition the reed cages and used Tony's TDR YZ125 reed petals)

I had to bore them all the way to 65.00mm as the old bore was really wasted, one reason it didn't run good.
After boring the cylinders I put them on my mockup engine and put a degree wheel to check porting as it was messed with before as it was already at 64.25mm bore, so a clue it wasn't stock.

Here's a mock up pic of the port mapping I was doing on my mockup engine with my degrees wheel.

This is when we discovered it was a bit high for my liking but we decided we could make it still work as it was planned to be a Saturday night special anyways, so I went to town on a pretty aggressive port job to save the cylinders.

Heads were re-cut to match...after mock up his heads they had way too high of compression ratio after someone cut the crap out of them before and now with the 65mm bore it was like 13.5:1!   :bang:

Now here we are 1 1/2 years later...fairly aggressive porting, new JL pipes that are a bit aggressive... the dyna dead and in the trash from leaving the key on, and a new HPI with a aggressive curve makes for a rowdy Pro mod street bike so you have to put in the tune it wants and needs to run on pump gas *93 at 50:1 ester based premix.
Now your up to speed...

So time for a last run to see if I'm good at what I do... :vroom:

Put in a 220 main jet just to help with the cold front as it's in the low 50's in Florida now this week
Did a St. Pete run of 45 miles and 3 miles from the shop the pipe joint burned out so the JL pipe mod post was started
to put an end to that crappy design!
See Here: http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=1221.0

Oh man did it run good!  :toot:

So final jetting ended up @ on VM28's with Uni's, B9HS plugs gapped at .022 until it warms up and then back to the B8HS plugs, NGK 5k caps (on one of the runs I used BR8HS and was fine on them too @.022)

220 main jet
37.5 pilot jet 1 5/8 turns out
169-P4 needle jet with cut shroud to 6.00mm
no air jet
5DP7-3 needle (middle clip)
stock 2.5 slide cutaway
Timing is set like in the early posts. No changes needed.
(note: I like a high idle on this kind of setup so you can sit in traffic with no running or fouling issues.  :righteous:

HPI video rip...

https://imageevent.com/supertune/mikemrd350?p=164&n=1&m=-1&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=3

Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

SUPERTUNE

The only thing I'll add is I recommend to Mike is to get a small .75 or 1 amp battery tender with a pigtail lead and keep the battery plugged in at home in the garage up as much as possible as the system is very close to keeping up if he runs the high beam a lot for night riding.

I'm going to guess to say it will run 2 tanks of fuel before the battery goes below 11 volts with lights on high beam.
Mind you this doesn't have any effect on the running of the bike and if you have a chance of turning off the lights it cranks up the charging back up over 13.2v. 
C

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

2t Fan

can't they design a magnet/stator combo to throw 80 to 90W

SUPERTUNE

I'm sure something more can be done...
Need to re-wire for 2 ac charge wires from the stator. As came from HPI, it's only running 1 ac charge wire from stator.
Hopefully I'll have a chance to do that soon. Bracket Maker (Ben) is really good at that stuff so maybe he can help me on the next one...
Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

m in sc

disconnect the one winding ground, run that up to the main wiring coming out of it, run that wire and the original lightning to a 2 wire regulator. its super easy to do.  then, you get full wave ac with more than enough power  :twocents: