Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Switching out an engine and California DMV

Started by Still biking, August 22, 2021, 02:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still biking

I have an RD I want to switch out the engine on and I live in California.  I have heard nightmare stories that if you do it and don't have a bill of sale for the engine they assume you stole it.  I lost the bill of sale for it years ago and now I want to use it in  bike.  Anyone with experience with this?

jradnich

How long have you had the engine? In CA the vehicle is assumed to be destroyed if it has went 7 years without any activity (including requests for information) in the DMV system. If it's out of the system probably start with a Request For Duplicate Title form and a Statement Of Facts form and use section G to explain the situation.
Most CA DMV paperwork can be done online, including title transfers, but might be worth it to use a 3rd party DMV service and save some hassle.

m in sc

not all bikes have matching frame/engine numbers from new. IE kaw triples.

I wouldn't sweat it. 

jradnich

Quote from: m in sc on August 22, 2021, 09:06:36 AM
not all bikes have matching frame/engine numbers from new. IE kaw triples.

I wouldn't sweat it.
Both frame ad engine numbers are on the title in CA.

dgorms

I can send you a bill of sale :thumbs:.................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

pdxjim

I have never had a cop look at my VIN or engine # on any vehicle ever.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

grind down the stock number, stamp the frame number on the other side of the motor where they are on r5's. I mean, dont match anymore so who cares. number punch kits are cheap.  :twocents:

rodneya

Why does anybody actually live in California? There are some crazy laws don there.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on August 22, 2021, 11:20:48 PM
Beaches. They have amazing beaches.

Florida has nice beaches too, and lots of old people.

pidjones

Tennessee has great, curvy mountain roads, four seasons, and a state government that is easy to deal with.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Striker1423

Michigan has the Great Lakes, Beaches, Sand Dunes, Mountains (Ok... ok. sorta porcupinish), Forests, Detroit, no economy outside of major cities, and a shitty Government.

m in sc

85RZwade

I do like Florida's beaches, and a little place in Arcadia called Slim's. Amazing BBQ and pies.
I post waayyy too much