This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Yamaha RD400 caliper conversion

Started by 2smokenNick, October 31, 2019, 05:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2smokenNick

Quote from: Joshua on November 05, 2019, 08:44:50 PM
Got mine from Garrett as well. Still putting my bike together, so I'm a ways out. He was super nice to deal with.
Looks great! How long ago did he make the parts for you?
Nick
Nick

pdxjim

I think Garrett has access to a CNC mill again, so you may be in luck 👍
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

2smokenNick

Quote from: pdxjim on November 05, 2019, 09:15:18 PM
I think Garrett has access to a CNC mill again, so you may be in luck 👍
Sweet! I have just about all the parts I need for the conversion except for the rotor spacer. I am trying to make the caliper adapter by hand and it seems to be working out ok. Attached is a picture of my progress so far! (Keep in mind I'm just a novice 19 year old:)
Nick
Nick

2smokenNick

Here's another picture.
Nick
Nick

Joshua

m in sc

2smokenNick

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get a spacer made and have me some big brakes! There's a cool factor to keeping a bike mostly original, but an even cooler factor of making it your own!
Nick
Nick

Frank B

Looking good  :righteous:

Any concern about changing it from original will be forgotten the first time you have a panic stop, and actually stop!

Frank B

Quote from: 2smokenNick on November 04, 2019, 10:07:41 PM
Quote from: Frank B on November 04, 2019, 09:58:27 PM
Cheap eBay ones I used, front and rear.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273463710704
Thank you for the link. I'll give the 31.5 inch ones a try...or maybe go longer? Shorter?
Nick

I half assed measured mine and it was 27.5 with stock handlebars. The line had a straight fitting on one end and a slight angle on the other. I put the angled end on the master cylinder.

2smokenNick

Thanks guys! It's fun to see a project slowly come together!
Nick
Nick

rodneya

When did the caliper mount move from the front to the back of the fork?

2smokenNick

Quote from: rodneya on November 06, 2019, 11:14:07 PM
Not sure what you mean...?
Nick

RDFL

Quote from: rodneya on November 06, 2019, 11:14:07 PM
On US models came with the 400.

50gary

Quote from: 2smokenNick on November 05, 2019, 10:03:33 PM
Here's another picture.
Nick
Nick, good effort thus far.  If you're doing hand work if recommend making a complete pattern from display cardboard first, then test fit your parts to the cardboard pattern  The critical part is the alignment of the two sets of holes and their relationship to each set will determine the rotor path clearing the inside radius of the caliper.  Doing the one off part I would bore the holes first then cut your profile.  With square edges it's much easier and accurate to drill your holes while hold the part in a vice of some sort.  If you're doing it by layout measuring from a straight line is easy, a curved one.. not so much.  BTW, are you using the stock RD400 mag wheel, just to be sure?  Just trying to give few tips when learning how to make parts from metal.
   Cheers, 50gary

2smokenNick

Quote from: 50gary on November 07, 2019, 08:44:45 PM
Quote from: 2smokenNick on November 05, 2019, 10:03:33 PM
Here's another picture.
Nick
Nick, good effort thus far.  If you're doing hand work if recommend making a complete pattern from display cardboard first, then test fit your parts to the cardboard pattern  The critical part is the alignment of the two sets of holes and their relationship to each set will determine the rotor path clearing the inside radius of the caliper.  Doing the one off part I would bore the holes first then cut your profile.  With square edges it's much easier and accurate to drill your holes while hold the part in a vice of some sort.  If you're doing it by layout measuring from a straight line is easy, a curved one.. not so much.  BTW, are you using the stock RD400 mag wheel, just to be sure?  Just trying to give few tips when learning how to make parts from metal.
   Cheers, 50gary
Thanks for the pointers. I know the alignment is the most important part and will be tricky. I got the template off of the forum so that should get me pretty close. Just doing my best. If it doesn't work out, I'll just try again! Yup, keeping the original mag wheels. Hopefully everything works out. Fingers crossed!
Nick