Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD Monoshock ninja susp. swap

Started by RustyRD, December 15, 2019, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

Well had some time to work on THE Project, and just don't have enough time to spend on it like I would really like to. oh well gotta eat and pay the bills. The engine is almost ready to button up. I need to map out any other mounting brackets or tabs then pull engine , and disassemble and have frame powder coated.

85RZwade

That engine looks right at home in there!
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

well spent some time trying to map out exhaust mounting. I have installed chain and sprockets, and still making sure I have all tabs and cutting done before powder coating. Seat and tail section will be the next task.

RDFL

RustyRD

wheelbase  is at 57 1/2"  Easy Rider, waiting to see how it rides, and getting closer to first fire up of engine then followed by test ride.

RustyRD

well trying my hand at creating a seat from scratch. Frankenseat I hope the end product looks and feels good, if not I might go tracker tail section. The great thing about a hobby like this, if you dont like the way it looks you have something to spend some more time and money on it.

95bravo

You gotta start somewhere - and at least you have a start.  My rd existed w/o a seat for two years - but I still enjoyed riding it!  :righteous:  You're right about the hobby angle -- it is a continuous journey!
Knowledge of many things is the sword unseen

RustyRD

Frame is back from powder coat. This stuff is hard as a rock. Same day, drop off in the morning pick up at lunch  :whoop:

RustyRD

well frankenseat is taking shape, I am hoping it does not make people run and scream :eek: At least it is forward progress. Wiring, lights and final check of timing and one more leak check with newer manifolds just to be safe before first fire up of engine.

85RZwade

Your seat looks like it turned out well. Interested to see how the addition of headlight, pipes and side panels (?) will affect the proportions of the bike.  :bacon:
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Thanks, I have been searching for headlight brackets that appeal to me. Search has been all over the place. It seems there is plenty either hi dollar or cheap.

50gary

For headlight brackets (I've done this 3 X) I ebay a matching (to the forks, that way you know they'll fit) top triple clamp and cut the center section out and that leaves the two pinch clamps.  Then I make the two arms (aluminum) to hold the headlight bucket and TIG weld them.  You can make them as plain or fancy as you want.
  Cheers, 50gary

RustyRD

Thanks Gary  I will start a search today.  Still wrestling with what handlebar switches I want to use

RustyRD

Another use for discarded clutch hub rivets and an old and cheap tire lever

RDFL

Great tool, I make a lot of my specialty tools too.