Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Hey, RD400 guys...

Started by 85RZwade, March 07, 2020, 01:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Thanks guys, we're closing in on this. It sounds like we need to identify his cylinder head; it should be a C, but who knows? If it is a C, Chuck, would you recommend using the stock C cylinders with it or the F cylinders pictured above?
He's a very experienced, skilled rider close to the century mark. The bike will be street ridden, not raced and has stock carbs and airbox (except, I imagine, jetting) and DG pipes. I don't know what ignition he has, so I assume it's OEM.
I post waayyy too much

SUPERTUNE

F cylinders will bolt on and work with C,D, & E heads. Just need to make sure you port and raise the exhaust port to help lower the compression ratio. The F cylinders can be a little harder to kick start as they don't have compression bleed holes above the exhaust port. The F models did have a different kick starter gear ratio to help the F model starting.
The hickup will be fitting pipes up. Look at the DG pipe flanges and see if slotted or round hole?
F cylinder has a wider exhaust stud spacing. (look in my JL pipe mod for spec's)
The exhaust flange is also a slightly different angle and will need some pipe hanger work to bolt on the frame sub mounts in the rear.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

85RZwade

Thank you for the information, Chuck. You are a remarkable resource for this community and a generous person. I see why people speak highly of you  :clap:
I post waayyy too much