Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Cheap reed cages to fit RZ

Started by RSW46, October 19, 2019, 11:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSW46

I saw some Banshee reed cage assemblies on Amazon less than $20.00 for a set of two and could not resist buying a set to see the quality. I was hoping they would be usable. I received them quick and took some pictures of one next to a stock RZ350 cage. I knew the rubber did not cover the whole surface under the reed from the add picture but wanted a closer look at the transition from metal to rubber before passing judgement. When I pulled a reed off one side, it became clear the quality control was disappointing. On the middle bridge the rubber seal did not completely fill the channel intended to hold it and a gap was left that would allow air to flow past when it should be sealed. The other thing I noticed is the thickness of the base was a few mm more then the stock one. 

Because of the manufacturing flaw I am sending my set back for a refund and will not buy any more of these knock-offs.  The transition from rubber to metal across the sealing surface may have an impact on the life of the reed.
Robert

Evans Ward

Genuine Yamaha Banshee cages work very well on the RZ. It's what I use as well as the Banshee fiber reeds. Perfect fit all the way around.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

jradnich

I'll say one thing for Amazon Prime. Knowing better but doing it anyway, I bought a pair of replacement batteries for my Porter Cable saw. They were garbage. I went online to request a refund. One of the options was to return them to Kohl's. I chose that. Got an email with a QR code for return. Took the batteries to Kohl's. They scanned the code from my phones screen and that was it. I didn't have to package them or anything. Refund was issued online almost as soon as they scanned the email.

pdxjim

Amazon is convenient, but buying from your local Yamaha dealer is the right thing to do.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

quocle603

Those things are very cheaply made. I had a set, accidentally purchased for my RD not realizing it was for an RZ/Banshee
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

rodneya

Quote from: pdxjim on October 19, 2019, 06:06:40 PM
Amazon is convenient, but buying from your local Yamaha dealer is the right thing to do.

Maybe so, but in Canada parts from a dealer are 5 times more expensive than US dealers, take about 2 weeks to come in and you have to go in and order / pay and then go back to pickup parts. This is after dealing with the parts guy who looks up part numbers on a US based dealers website (as they dont have their own) and cant tell the difference between a gasket and an oil seal.

m in sc

complete reed assembly stock on bikebandit is 81 bucks.
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2000-yamaha-banshee-350-yfz350m/o/m145962#sch108402

why not just go v force? almost double but so good. (152 ish per side)

m in sc