Main Menu

GT380

Started by RDFL, January 27, 2021, 11:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDFL

Kawtriplefreak

That is some beautiful fabrication.

Dvsrd

Great fabrication skills. But pretty optimistic performance target IMHO. A GT380 would most likely have around 30 rwhp. 60 hp is early TZ350 territory....The port layout on a GT is as basic as can be, with just 2 transfer ports.  TZ350s have 4 , later 6 transfers, I believe

teazer

Agreed.  Fab quality is good and MOTA is a great tool, but it forecasts crank HP.  Not sure why the pipes have  increased angles on the baffle cones - that's not right. 

Very innovative bike that they/he finished a couple of years ago but I have not seen any articles or reviews of how well it runs - assuming it runs.

RDFL

Few seconds of it running at end, sounds great. Would be nice if showed more of it running.  https://youtu.be/PX1gvblbgec

rodneya

Rear cones seem weird, and the silencers are sticking out all over the place, but great welding.

The bike is for sale on their site with completely different pipes. Much skinnier and 3 out the side gp style silencers.

teazer

Those new pipes are an improvement, but the welding and fab work are first class.

And yes, the #3G3 barrels are 6 port ie 6 transfers on the last 350. So are the last OW31 TZ750 barrels but they have rather small (RZ sized reed cages and need more reed area. Fondseca in the UK had some cast if you need a set (assuming they still have some available).   

Dvsrd

Quote from: teazer on January 29, 2021, 06:43:09 PM
Agreed.  Fab quality is good and MOTA is a great tool, but it forecasts crank HP.  Not sure why the pipes have  increased angles on the baffle cones - that's not right. 
I'll happily admit that I only have a very basic understanding of expansion chamber design, but in the A.G.Bell book, "Performance Tuning 2 strokes", there Are some drawings, and at least one has a two angle baffle cone, and some explanation around ut.(TZ750 sidecar pipes)

pdxjim

That's an awful lot of fancy fab work built around a rather uninspiring power plant
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

The rh and middle pipe could have been routed a bit better, more of a v to get the silencer from jutting way out . that being said, its really cool.

out of all the suzuki triples, id take a 380 over a 550 or a 750. way more fun. but def not fast, and ive ridden a few built 380s. but great bikes for sure.

RDFL

I would like to find a 380 but very rarely find any Suzuki 2T street bikes around here, when you do is usually a 750.

RDFL

Anyone seen one in person now?

teazer

There's a guy in the UK with a 380 which he fitted a set of RG250 gamma cylinders and gained their crankcase reeds and extra ports.  he says his revs to 12,000 and make 55 or so rear wheel HP.

He has a connection to Barry Hart of Barton motors who made the Sparton 3 cylinder water cooled 500 which was in limited production back in the day.

The Motoworks bike originally had chambers with what appear to be 3 convergent cones but the one for sale now has a single cone and what look to be very large diameter stingers.

There is some incredible work in that Motoworks bike for sure.

m in sc

they are around, the cost of doing the cranks puts a lot of riders off, (actually randomly talked to a guy about it yesterday when i was out on the r5, he relayed this story). Also the lack of aftermarket support, and they don't have the 'mystique' or status of a kawi triple for guys that want to impress other guys at the local watering hole. Or, if you are all about the resale value, forget it unless it s a drum brake 550 or GT750.

Buddy of mine had one afew years ago we got sorted, ive had 380s before as well. out of all the suzuki triples, they are absolutely my favorite as a rider. My buddy David has a very (now) sorted GT550 thats a good rider.

what so many people now failed to recognize is that suzuki was, at the time, trying to compete head to head with 4t commuter bikes with these.

RDFL