Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Bolt extraction woes

Started by Striker1423, March 06, 2023, 07:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

So, I got the new set of GT750 cases to use and it came with a small bolt that needed extracting for the oil pump line cover. No big deal... I thought. Well, the extractor snapped off flush in the bolt and of course its tool steel. So... fine. I'll grind it flat and glue a bolt head to the cover and call it good cause fuck that noise.

Let's get the rest of the parts off so I can vapor blast this case for use... Ok... the deflector plate. That'll hold a lot of glass bead out of site. Better get it off. A few smacks with the vessel impacta and two bolts come out. The last bolt at the back... BREAKS OFF INSIDE THE CASE.

FINE! I'll just drill this one out cause my EZ out is broken anyway. So... I get a small drill bit started straight and as soon as I press down... slips to the side and fucks the hole. I get like an hour a day to dick around now... and this is what happens.

So, question... what might be the problem running the bike without the deflector plate in the trans?

rodneya

Cant help with the deflector plate, but stay away from those type of extractors. They break soo easily. The tapered square type work way better (at least quality name brand ones do) Or weld a nut on.

m in sc

its there for a reason. try to mig weld a nut on it and pull it out. If you were close i could fix that pretty easily. worst case would be to cut the affected area out, weld on an chunk of aluminum and drill and tap it.  something, but it needs to be there. those deflectors usually direct lubrication to a specific area for an important reason.

85RZwade

EDM might be an option; try asking your local auto repair shops who handles their worst case scenario broken bolts. I once found myself in a little father and son shop in Olympia, Washington that specialized in installing air conditioning in old cars. They had an electro-discharge machine in a corner of the place and five or six cars from local shops and dealerships with broken fasteners. It was a good side business for them.
I post waayyy too much

Djg8493

1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

teazer

Just grind it out and have someone TIG a new lump there to drill and tap for a shiny new screw.  Suzuki use those plates to direct oil to the gearbox shafts.  Without them they get no lube and we all know that lube is a necessary part of life in a transmission

Striker1423

Without getting too crazy, I drilled the hole, albeit a bit off center due the remnants of the screw that refused to come out, and installed a Helicoil. We'll see how it works. If I have to drill the hole in the plate oblong I will. That's what blue loctite is for. Not to self, once clean... never take that stupid plate off again!

As far as the top-side with the cracked off EZ out... short of hiring a machine shop... I might just say screw it.