Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Adding transmission fluid - (New Leak)

Started by MRDRcycle, January 07, 2020, 04:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

I had an over full problem a couple years ago on my RZ and it was 2 stroke oil from the oil pump shaft seal. My oil level in the transmission kept rising slowly over a period of time and I saw the blue tint to the oil when I drained it and ended up being that seal. I am. Not sure if it is the same for an RD.

Jspooner

My method is to put a quart and a half in and ride it and not worry about it.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

MRDRcycle

That method sounds excellent:)

I'm guessing this is the overflow tube. It's pointed directly to the side of the leak, so I'm figuring that's all it was. I'm just going to ride the damn thing.

Below is a pic of the dipstick. The red fluid on the towel shows where the level is currently on the dipstick (cold).

m in sc

you can use a syringe (like for setting fork level) and hose and suck some out.  :twocents:  (or if you want to go super low buck, a turkeybaster will work in a pinch with a hose on it.  :dawg:

MRDRcycle

Thanks! I think I'll do that and take some fluid out. I only rode the bike a few blocks in the neighborhood. The case gaskets/seals are pretty new and that was my main concern. I'd rather not have to redo those.

Next time I'll start at a liter and slowly fill it until it reaches the right level;), then start the bike and let it circulate through. Add some more fluid if needed, then ride out.

1976RD400C

I was looking at a motor I have apart and according to the dip stick the correct oil level is actually about 1/2" below the largest diameter gear on the trans gear sets. I would have thought at least some of the gears would touch but guess not.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

pidjones

May I return to this subject? After full rebuild, I carefully measured and added 1500 ml to my RD400c. Even after initial start, break-in at rest, and a 1.5 and 7 mile ride it still shows about 1 inch too high on the stick (measured with stick resting on case).
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

rodneya

I always go by volume not the level on the dipstick. There are a lot of different brand bikes where the dipstick or oil check holes are known to be way out.

elliottles1

Folks,

ive seen a mystery like t his before but on DT'S,  are you sure you have the correct dipstick??

cheers
les.

pidjones

Quote from: elliottles1 on April 17, 2021, 03:06:46 AM
Folks,

ive seen a mystery like t his before but on DT'S,  are you sure you have the correct dipstick??

cheers
les.
I have no clue. It is a "rolling basket case" purchased in Ohio from a guy that finds and sell such items. The dipstick was in it, but I have no idea of its linage. Maybe another RD400c owner could measure theirs (distance from bottom of cap to end of stick and top of depression) and post it?

1976RD400C

Here's the dipstick from my bike that I rolled out of the showroom in 1976

20210417-074251" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

pidjones

Thanks! Mine is exactly the same, but the oil level on it is around 8 cm.