(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

What did you do to your 2T today?

Started by pdxjim, July 07, 2019, 02:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

pdxjim

New shoes for the TDR250!

Got a set of lightly scrubbed-in race compound Q3's from a buddy.  110/17 and 150/17 sizes ... perfect for the TDR.

Very soft tires, but he gave me an extra rear, so I should be good for the summer.

Hopefully I can get some miles in this weekend on the street or dirt.  :metal:
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

forexer

What I did today?

I started cleaning the new bike up because yesterday I took a 16hr road trip to pick up another RD400 - So I'm officially back in the 2Stroke game :thumbs:

This bike is a French Blue 1977 one owner with 3K original miles that's been sitting for 28yrs. Not only is it all original but the owner gave me the original sales invoice from time of purchase which was May 1978 and I got the service manual, owners manual, warranty paperwork w/folder and the Yamaha Identification card and to top it off he handed me the original metal can of Yamaha 2 Stroke oil that came with the bike.

A few years ago I got into the K5 & K6 GSXR's and ended up selling my RD - I really got to missing my old RD and knew I had to have another one. So to you guys that are out there thinking of selling your bike DONT do it because trust me you'll wish you hadn't. 

Here's a pic of the bike that I took off the computer screen - It's from the online for sale listing

Organicjedi

SoCal250

Quote from: forexer on April 17, 2020, 09:28:46 PM
I took a 16hr road trip to pick up another RD400 - So I'm officially back in the 2Stroke game :thumbs:

This bike is a French Blue 1977 one owner with 3K original miles that's been sitting for 28yrs. Not only is it all original but the owner gave me the original sales invoice from time of purchase which was May 1978 and I got the service manual, owners manual, warranty paperwork w/folder and the Yamaha Identification card and to top it off he handed me the original metal can of Yamaha 2 Stroke oil that came with the bike.

Congrats! :clap: That's a beautiful Frenchie! My favorite color. You scored on that one with the low miles and all the documentation.
Post some more photos in the Show Off section after you've had a chance to clean it up.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

SoCal250

This week I worked on 27cc's of pure-twostroke-fury! LOL :dawg:
I dissembled and cleaned the carb on my string trimmer. Also replaced the fuel tank and fuel lines.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

85RZwade

Hello, my name is Wade and I'm a bad two-stroke owner. I did some productive work today and felt it was time to take my wife's suggestion and get my RZ down from the lift and ready to ride to work. In my defense, I assumed the fuel system would need some attention so I started right in pulling the carbs out. Fuel tank: empty. Air filter: dirty. Carburetor bellmouths: dirty. Float bowl drains: open. Peering into the manifolds, I see carbon-fiber reeds. When did I buy those? Thought I had Boyesens.
Carbs off and on the floor (there's a story; I'll tell you someday when we have more time), they're generally grungy, the vent hoses have petrified and they smell faintly of stale gas. #2 phillips deployed and the bowls come off without a struggle, gaskets go in the trash. Interior of, ahh...left? carb is dry with a tiny bit of dusty debris in the bottom of the bowl. Meh. Next door, though...

Not my proudest moment. They'll be swimming in the ultrasonic cleaner Monday morning. Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. Let he among you who is without sin cast the first sta-bil bottle...
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

It's true.

I really paid the price for my sloth this spring.

TDR carbs were full of that same green varnish.  PJ's clogged.  Air jets clogged.  Float needle valves stuck, etc.  Took a million kicks to start and then would barely run.

Started first kick after a full strip and jiggle in the 'sonic.  Has started first kick ever since.

Hopefully going for a rip around Bull Run or Skyline/Scappoose/ Vernonia with the boys tomorrow afternoon.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Kawtriplefreak

That is why I am so grateful I live 400 yards from the local airport where they sell 100 LL Avgas. Minimum 2 year safe shelf life and no ethanol. If I rode as much as I wish I could it would be impractical at $5.10 a gallon. I use it on all my 2 strokes, bikes, weedeater my Lawnboy and chainsaws plus my 1944 Farmall A lawn mowing tractor. I use it as storage fuel in my generators and snow blower. Ethanol is the 😈

85RZwade

Yeah, I get all kinds of wound up talking about ethanol in our fuel. It's in the top 5, maybe top 3 of my pet peeves.
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Timeline - yesterday.

I nearly finished the oil tank reservoir slotted into the redundant 400/4 airfilter housing air box.....took a cut n shut, but treated to a coat of Wurth and some thin rubber trim to protect the cut edges the alloy tank sits snug.

Got a breather outlet and the sight level can be seen too. Outlet below.

85RZwade

I rode it- the KTM- with two of my boys, last night and again this evening after work. We picked a little trail through my mother-in-law's clear cut to connect with a trail my youngest and I made in our woods last year. They both did well and we had a good time, and are impressed when I bust out a stoppie! I still have a little cool left in me.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

nice guys!

I found the source of my wonky speedometer, the tabs on the speedo drive were slipping in the t500, been chasing that for a few years.  just enough to skip at higher speeds. not a sexy repair but a very satisfying one. 

Redbird

Assembled the RD400 motor enough for a few glamor shots. Plan to put it home next weekend.

"When you're Dead, you don't know that you're Dead. It's only difficult for Others.
It's the same when you're Stupid"

85RZwade

That's splendid, you do nice work  :bacon:
I post waayyy too much