Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Gauges bouncing all over

Started by Striker1423, April 21, 2020, 06:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

The gauges on the RD started bouncing all over last summer. Before they seemed to work OK. For example, the tachometer when cruising doesn't seem to want to register over 4500 RPM and on the rare occasion it does, it bounces up and down several thousand RPM. If I drop a gear and get up to say 70mph, the gauge just stays around 4500. When at a light if I blip the throttle, the gauge reacts normal.

The stock speedometer, all things considered is around 5mph off, but bounces between speeds regularly. Michigan roads are pretty bad, but it'll do this on flat roads at say 55mph. Also noticed, the trip meter gave up. It quite counting when before it worked fine.

Now it did this before I experimented with taking the things apart and cleaning the insides and re-lubing with a bit of oil. It did not help, but it didn't make it worse either. So, I don't know. Thoughts?

I plan on making a mount for the new speedometer for the original location and just ditching the stock one. But, the tachometer, well I kinda want to keep it stock, but want one that works.  :drool:

RDryan

Would it be worth putting new cables on? I really wouldn't know, do they stretch or just get distorted over time? Maybe they just need a lubing? Curious about how you solve this as I have the same bike as you and my cables/gauges are original and functioning OK.

Barrie

The gauges do have built in damper to stop this occurrence, the instrument movement could of have also  ingested some magnetic particles, especially if the lamp holders are missing from the back of the instrument, if this is the case the unit will have to be opened, cleaned and resealed.
So, first remove the cables and re- grease, then if you still have problems the only option is to find someone your side of the pond who can service them for you . 
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

klaird

Try lubing the cables before tearing them apart.  Bouncing gauges is generally an indication the cables need lubrication. 

Baldwin53

I have heard that RZs Unlimited rebuilds tacos and speedos. I replaced my RZ350 instruments with Koso electronics.

NYSingh

@Striker - did you find any fix to this issue?
My speedo is also bouncing around +-10 mph or so. Cable is relatively new (maybe 3-4 years, but not many miles on it) and just cleaned out and re-lubed the speedo gear in the wheel.
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

m in sc

if the internal bushing wears it will jump around as well. might just be slap worn out.

Organicjedi

If you've tried lubing the cables and dug into the speedo drive, then it's probably the gauge internals. The damping fluid dries out and the bushings wear out.

If you want it fixed, this guy is a magician. Your gauges will come back looking and working better than new. Guagerepairs.com.

Plus, he had the best prices around and that's including the ride to the UK and back.

m in sc

what fluid are you referring to? theres 2 pivots and a hair spring like a watch balance wheel and a magnet and cup and a travel limit at 0. 

Ive had plenty of gauges apart, ive never seen any fluid. oil on the pivots? yes. adjustment on the top for shaft endplay? yes.  I mean, if i just wasnt seeing something id like to know.

Organicjedi

There's a small damper pot that should be full of a thin oil to stop the gauge needle from waving around. It's tiny.

I didn't get into my RD gauges, but I've seen them in other models and snowmobile gauges. The oil degrades over time and the needle starts waving and bouncing around.

Here's an old CB gauge. You can see that the damper pot has been refilled and then resealed. I assume Yamaha used the same damping system in RD gauges.

m in sc

son of a bitch, i never knew thats what that was.  :eek: just went down looked at a kawi/yam gauge (internals are the same).. yup. learned something today. I stand corrected.  :patriot:

Organicjedi

Quote from: m in sc on June 22, 2020, 11:10:51 PM
son of a bitch, i never knew thats what that was.  :eek: just went down looked at a kawi/yam gauge (internals are the same).. yup. learned something today. I stand corrected.  :patriot:

Goes to show that there's always new shit to learn about this old junk.  :cheers:

m in sc

agreed for sure.

I'll stop learning when im dead.

NYSingh

On the SOHC forum some folks recommend using anywhere from 30,000 to 50,000 cSt silicon oil to refill the dashpot/damper pot for old CBs. Seems like it might require drilling the pot, filling with oil, then plugging the hole - assume it's similar for old Yamahas. In addition to guagerepairs.com, someone recommended Foreign Speedo, which is a company out of San Diego. Since I just got my bike running again, I'll wait until end of the riding season then send it to one of those guys after I try to fix it myself and break it.
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

Organicjedi

Quote from: Organicjedi on June 22, 2020, 09:23:03 PM
There's a small damper pot that should be full of a thin oil to stop the gauge needle from waving around. It's tiny.

I didn't get into my RD gauges, but I've seen them in other models and snowmobile gauges. The oil degrades over time and the needle starts waving and bouncing around.

Here's an old CB gauge. You can see that the damper pot has been refilled and then resealed. I assume Yamaha used the same damping system in RD gauges.

I should clarify that Yamaha had nothing to do with the gauges. That was left up to Nippon Seiki  :haw: