Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Transmission linkage tuning

Started by pdxjim, April 09, 2023, 12:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

I got out for a ride today, and was reminded of a nagging issue in the trans linkage and mechanism behind the right side cover.

Upshifts are flawless, and downshifting 6-5, 5-4 are effortless, but 4-3, 3-2, and especially 2-1 require a little more left leg action than usual.

It feels like the pedal goes down without engaging or something?  I suspect its the adjustment at the star wheel, stopper lever or shift shaft assembly behind the right sidecover.

Anyone got any tips for me?  I wanna get this thing dailed in 100% asap.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

1976RD400C

I don't ever remember adjusting one but this needs to be centered properly.

shifter" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

IR8D8R

The Ausgleichworrichtung is fercockt. ...And don't forget to tighten the Sicherungsmutter.

m in sc

make sure the bushing on the arm is there or it'll slop around in the slot. ive seen that missed a few times

Dvsrd

FWIW, the stock LC gear lever and linkage is not really a good design. The "arm" for the linkage on the pedal is VERY short, and I assume the arm on the shaft is fairly short as well. This leverage ratio will exaggerate any slop in the heim joints, and cause higher loads/ more friction at the pivot and the shaft. So it should not really be a surprise that shifting is less than perfect after 40 plus years. Still, the already mentioned adjustment may well be required.

rodneya

Ive changed the linkage setups on my bikes to a straight shift leaver and GP shift pattern. It gives a better shift feel and better shifts into second gear.

Jspooner

Check out factorypro.com, I think they may have what you are looking for to solve your problem.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

pdxjim

I found the issue.  The torsion spring that centers the shift claw is worn and doesn't keep the claw centered as it should.

Found a new shift shaft assembly at Parzilla, so barring some other hiccup, it looks like we're in business.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A