Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

What would you do? Seat options

Started by Joshua, December 01, 2019, 07:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

I'm looking for feedback on ideas. Would you wrap a seat to hide the frame, or snug a small seat into the frame and keep the frame exposed. I've got a friend that will build me a seat for some vapor honing on his bike. The guy is really talented with stitch work and custom seats.

This is a stripped down bike build. Nothing in the bike is not "needed", or very minimal, of course I'll regret all that, but it is what it is.

Jspooner

Not a fan of that type of seat, but............I'd keep the frame exposed.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

pdxjim

Find a Giuliari seat or replica.

The OG version hasn't been made since the early 80's, but there has been no better aftermarket RD seat made, ever.

HVC Gunfighter Seat is a distant second.

Brat style seats  .....  well, not my favorite.  Uncomfortable and without a bum stop or enough padding to sink into, you end up sliding around a lot. Feels sketchy and disconnected to me.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Jspooner

Jim is right. Here's a pic of a genuine Giuliari seat.

rodneya

Looks best in my opinion if the bottom of the seat and the bottom of the tank are all on line. So if that is the final tank position, Id say cover the frame

Jspooner

Here's another example of a Giuliari seat. This is my sons bike.

Organicjedi

I'd keep the frame exposed with this type of build. Use any color you want.

paul1478

Quote from: Jspooner on December 01, 2019, 11:16:34 PM
Here's another example of a Giuliari seat. This is my sons bike.
WOW! that is the seat I had on my 350 back in 79-80. I always wondered were it came from. To bad it is not made any longer. I would get one.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Kawtriplefreak

There are some very good Giuliari replica seats out there. I have one on my 75 RD that was made in Vietnam. It was a bolt on. Check EBay.

paul1478

I think I will. Thanks. Now have a name for it.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

m in sc

yeah, that seat tim has is comfy, ive ridden that bike a few times.

:clap:

Joshua

Thanks guys for the feedback. One of the reasons I didn't want one of the seats mentioned is that they just look to big for what I was looking for. I like the look of that type seat, but in a smaller style.  Maybe more slender so it hugs the frame a bit. It doesn't help that I played around with the tail and I kinda like the exposed look as well. I shorted up the back a bit to snug up the look. I keep thinking bassani was on to something when they made their pipes a mile long. I'll probably end up tucking the seat inside the frame, then keep my eyes open for another seat to flip in on longer rides or after I agree with most of you guys. Lol

klaird

Here is a picture of the street fighter.  Its definitely firm but not uncomfortable.

teazer

It's a really good question.

Seat shapes cover every possible combination of edges and round and yet there is rarely one that is just the right shape and fits. Tanks I can usually work out what looks right but seats are a PIA.  I end up making thinner or wider or longer or whatever to get the shape that looks right to me.

For the RD series there are lots of alternatives.  For example I like TZ shaped seats but they only work with a long tank and if I want a shorter tank, then the TZ seat no longer works - even if it's stretched a little.

With stock 350 tank, the seat needs to be a little rounded to work with the tank shape and needs to be longer than say a TZ seat or else the bike looks hacked down.

What I do is to get a couple of decent side pictures and print them out and go to town with sharpies or crayons until I get the size and shape right and then work that into something 3 dimensional.

You could also try to copy the Seat that others suggested and shrink it slightly in every direction and see what works for you.