Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rd400 — Leaving Barrels unpainted??

Started by Joshua, June 07, 2019, 08:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

So has anyone left your barrels unpainted. I picked up a vapor honing machine and am working through my rd400 build. Cleaned up some casting flaws and flattened the fins a bit. Vapor honing seems to get aluminum super smooth so I think cleaning won't be a huge problem. Obviously vapor honing was just the last step. For some reason I really making parts look new!!

Chuck, I know it's been a long process, but I'll swing up there with everything when I get my feet under me with all the important parts. By the way, Chuck you have been a huge help/encouragement for tackling this rebuild on my own. Thanks!

SUPERTUNE

Absolutely leave them with Vapor blasting!
I did a racebike RD400 engine with all vapor blast, no paint at all for the chrome bike build...have to find pics off my phone of the completed bike.
Chuck

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

~JM~

Is there any cooling benefit to leaving the aluminum raw?

Does the aluminum begin to corrode or become stained/discolored over time, or after being exposed to moisture?

m in sc

all kawi triple sare raw, you can look at them for staining or discoloration. in my experience, its liveable as long as you dont leave it outside, uncovered, or do a lot of road riding. I think any heat shedding benefit is minimal leaving it on or off, except when people powdercoat, that to me is too thick.

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Joshua

Thanks guys, looks like I'm on the right track!

Brad-Man

Tests have shown that when moving, black painted intercoolers cool air more than unpainted ones.  They do heat up more when standing still than unpainted.

I would suspect that air cooled engines would behave the same way - so unless you idle a LOT I'd say paint 'em.
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

Yamaha 179

The Yamaha factory air cooled race cylinders and heads were left unpainted.  When they went to water cooling they coated them black.  Maybe the reason they left the air cooled parts natural was to save money but I don't think so.  I like the natural color of the alloy cylinders and heads.
Lyn Garland

SUPERTUNE

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

tony27

I raced a YZ465H for a few years with vapour blasted top end & found that there was no staining or corrosion even when I sold it. I definitely prefer it to the original painted surface & did the same thing to my TY250C, makes it bike look a bit more worksy to mind as well

SUPERTUNE

I like cylinders painted satin black w/highlighted fins and bare heads with polished side fins.

Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

AAAltered

Just to chime in, here are some pics of a top end I did some years back...
1) bead blast
2) lots of polishing
3) masking
4) paint with PJ1 satin
5) repolish the edges

Fresh polish and paint really looks eye popping.

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

paul1478

For me I love the painted with polished edges and the polished end of the heads just like the above.
they say RD to me.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

teazer

I love that black and polished look on a stock(ish) RD350. I just did that on one I rebuilt.  The last 400 I had was painted satin black as were all my TZs.

On the other hand, my TD3 and client TD/TR's were all blasted and no paint, just as nature (Yamaha) intended.

In theory, black surfaces emit more heat than sliver ones.  The flip side of that is that paint tends to act as an insulating layer, so it really doesn't make much difference either way.  It's more of an aesthetic issue than anything else.

Joshua

I really like the painted look with the polished touches. Thanks for sharing everyone. I'm really into the raw look personally, have no clue why though. For my minimal build I'm going to go for as much unpainted surface as I can possibly do. Frame may stay black but I'm undecided. I've got so much work to do, just happy I've got my vapor honing machine. Carbs before and after although I'm going to upgrade to flatsides I think. Still have to talk with Chuck about how far I want to go for the motor work.

When I get done the case work I'll post more pics. Rims are well on their way as well. Rims look sick vapor honed.